Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL missing on #3 its a mystery

So Rick and I resealed and EA82 out of an 86 GL wagon, did everything just like I always do had the heads machined by my local Napa, got new HG's intake manifold and exaust gaskets. we put it all back together we got it in the car and it was ready for service but its missing on #3 we put all new plugs in it, plug wire went through 3 different distys, one of witch was on ricks everyday car, 3 carbs, 1 intake, 2 coils, checked and rechecked the T-belts, checked the timing on the disty, its at 8* BTC, 170psi on the compression, took the valve cover off to make sure valves where moving, checked all the fuses, and still it is missing on #3 the valves where even ground and reseated, I have no clue what the heck it could be at this point...............any help would be good, BTW it is an carbed EA82 with a stock carb on it..........................

Jeff

• 1 month later...

still doing it just like before it seems to be reverse backfiring through the carb too like a bad valve or bad timing but its dead on on the timing and the heads just came from being machined and the valves where ground and seated........................... 272 bucks worth of work in the heads..............

Jeff

Even with good compression you can still have a valve problem. It could be a hydraulic lifter that is pumped up and holding a valve open slightly, or a valve that got bent slightly. Do a leakdown test if you have access to a leakdown tester. You can also hook up a vacuum gauge and see what it does. A rapidly fluctuating needle indicates a valve problem. You can see animations of what to look for here: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm look at scenarios 5-7

Everyone has good ideas and only one is correct and I would stake $100 on it. Either they ground the intake valve or the seat incorrectly or knurled the valve guide wrong and the valve is sticking. Been here, done this. Like pressingonward said. Compression test followed by a leakdown test or use a vacuum guage. Test cold, then hot and test both cylinders on that bank.