Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Maybe I've missed something. Swapping struts and trying to get the tophats off the strut. Got a large nut and a screw with an allen head on it. Can't get the thing off. Even got an impact wrench on both nut and allen, not coming off. What's the process to remove this thing?

Break the nut loose with the strut in the car, and the car on the ground (in other words, weight on that wheel)

I forgot that part, and was junking my old struts, so I just tacked the stanction to the body:headbang: But I don't recommend that method.

place short 1/2 drive socket over the nut. Then insert allen key thru the socket top, into the strut piston shaft. keyway.

Then hold the allen key tightly.

Use large vice grip locked onto the socket.

Using the vice grips, loosen the nut while holding the allen wrench.

You need to have the spring compresses before doing any of the steps.

if you're ditching the old struts, put a vice grip on the shaft to keep it from spinning. But, to 'properly' torque the new struts on, you're gonna need to rig a system like bheinen described.

you might take a look here for some ideas;

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/36263-2003-w-h6-baja-springs-kyb-struts-done.html

MAKE SURE THE SPRING IS COMPRESSED AND SECURED WITH APPROPRIATE TOOLS!!!!!!

I used one of these pass through ratchet sets with an allen key to hold the strut:

image_14243.jpg

The suggestion to use a socket with an allen wrench would also work. You would need to hold the socket with vise grips or other tool

I used a craftsman dog bone wrench before I got air tools. Picture shown is standard.

00914278000-1

I found the easiest way is just to impact them off. Make sure the spring is compressed first. You also need to pay close attention to the way the conical washer comes off.

Here is the walkthrough to do them on an STi and they are extremely similar.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/85672-complete-idiots-guide-spring-installation.html

Edited by Durania

I used a craftsman dog bone wrench before I got air tools. Picture shown is standard.

00914278000-1

I found the easiest way is just to impact them off. Make sure the spring is compressed first. You also need to pay close attention to the way the conical washer comes off.

wish I had thought of using a dogbone wrench like that! That would have been a much more useful item afterwards and less hassle overall.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan