Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Impreza engine replacement

Hello all,

I have a 2000 Impreza Wagon with a 2.2L EJ22 that has 188k miles.

I'm a newbie to major overhauls on any vehicle, so I was going to post my woes, and see if anyone that has more experience can weigh in.

I, like an idiot, didn't check my oil before going on a road trip, and ended up on the side of the road with an oil light on, and the engine knocking.

Long story short, I got the car home on a dolly, and changed the oil and filter and started it again, only to hear the knocking, intensifying as I gave it a little gas.

I've been researching engine replacements, and I have seen discussions on this board going back and forth in between the 2.2L and 2.5L, but I don't really understand which one is better, and I also don't even know if the 2.5L would easily replace my 2.2L.

So I guess I have several questions.

1) Do I have to replace the EJ22 that is in my car with another EJ22?

2) JDM or not? I don't know enough about this to make an educated decision.

3) How stupid do I feel?

Thanks for your time.

You should be able to use any EJ22 or EJ25 from 2000-2004. Browse a few sites like mypartshop.com etc. to get an idea what you're looking for. (The part numbers are different year to year, but any 00-04 ej22 or 25 should be a direct bolt it. I like to browse craigslist and see what cars are being parted in the area.

Be careful as you search though as this generation was the most prone to head gasket failure. It would be sad to go through the work of engine replacement only to face a head gasket job. You came to the right place for advice. People on here can get you about any answer you need.

Search bar is your best friend. :burnout: