Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Price range on a 88 GL

Hello,

I have been reading the boards for a long time and am not almost ready to purchase a GL wagon. The dream is to build it up to be an off road champ.

In the seattle area, these rarely seem to come up on craigslist. I am trying to find one in the $700 range... is that way out of line?

Where are all the GL's in seattle area?

The prices I usually see range from $200 to $2000, with a fairly strong average of $900 to $1200. This does not exclude the occasional outlying prices from as low as free (usually accompanied by words like "get it out of my yard" "no engine" and the like) to one locally here, $6599 - one owner, 50k miles. So no, your price range isn't too abstract or too far out there.

Thing is, the lower the price the more likely you will find words like "blown head gasket", "ugly as sin", "rust" and/or "does not drive" in the description. May not be an issue if you are building an off road champ. 2-3 $200 wagons might have all you need, and spares for a while.

Also, for Seattle area I would recommend the Little Nickle, as well as looking through the Portland area craigslist. If you are willing to go the extra mile there usually is one (of some condition, around the year (88) you are looking at) in Yakima and Tri Cities, and a couple usually in the Spokane/C.D.A. craigslists.