Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New HG's ea81-engine conditioner

Headgaskets went out at 288k on the '81 Hatch. #3 Coolant to oil. The fire rings were still holding. Consequently, the car still drove great and had good compression, but significant amounts of coolant were getting in the oil. I don't know how long I drove it that way, but it washed out the internals pretty well.

I pulled the heads and replaced the valve seals. The valves looked like they had been undersea with all the barnacled carbon on the back. I wish I had taken pictures. I am amazed at how well the car drove with carbon & steel drumsticks for valves. Anyway, I got it cleaned up, did the DIY head treatment.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126868&highlight=apocalyptic Thanks GD

The car drives great. I wish I had changed the HG's long ago. I thought my car had pep before, but the new HG's definitely woke it up and no oil smoke at start-up anymore. However, with the coolant wash and extensive cleaning, the engine is definitely more clacky and it seems like it could use something to condition all the freshly exposed metal.

I gave it conventional Valvoline 10W-30 to wash any remaining emulsified oil out and I am going to switch to full synth this weekend.

I was wondering if anybody has ideas or experience with additives that might help, kind of like the Rislone in the 4MT trick. The sound of the engine is bothersome, but I am really more concerned about function and protection of the internals.

The engine will sound crappy for a few miles after an HG change (I panicked when I heard the sound of mine after I did my re-seal/HG's) but drive it like you mean it for a few miles and it'll settle right out.

As far as increased protection goes, from what I've read on the board you can't do much better then changing your oil to a high quality Diesel oil that is formulated to be compatible with gasoline engines.

Edit: Here, this should point you in the right direction.

http://http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66607

Edited by kabarakh
Additional info

The engine will sound crappy for a few miles after an HG change (I panicked when I heard the sound of mine after I did my re-seal/HG's) but drive it like you mean it for a few miles and it'll settle right out.

As far as increased protection goes, from what I've read on the board you can't do much better then changing your oil to a high quality Diesel oil that is formulated to be compatible with gasoline engines.

Thanks, I guess I'll just have to do that.:grin:

Did you do a valve adjustment or does this one have hydro lifters?

GD

Adjustment, after torquing everything to spec., the passenger side was slightly loose and the driver's side was slightly tight, but they all required less than an 1/8 turn of the adjustment screws. I figured I would drive it a bit then check torque on the head nuts/bolts and valve lash.

Cool. I find it helps to set them a bit on the tight side when adjusting the lash.

That's what I usually do, but this time I set them right about in the middle. That is probably contributing to the clack a bit. I'll adjust them a little tighter when I check and adjust.