Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*New question!* Stuck trying to dismantle EA82 Hitachi carby for rebuild

• 2 weeks later...

Assembling the carb again and noticed the workshop manual stresses this:

"NOTE: THe accelerator pump spring has a close wound end which must push on the accelerator pump ball"

See picture from nanual below.

359d0rr.jpg

Unfortuantely, the spring that was in my carb definitely does not. The ball is recessed so without the close wound end I can see that it will flop around a lot. Is this a problem??

15s57aq.jpg

Correct - the paper clip looking protrusion on the spring holds the check ball in the center and thus down on it's seat.

As for being the Hitachi expert around here.....I used to fiddle with them quite a bit and have rebuilt a few dozen of them as well as made some posts on how to strip them down and simplify the hose nightmare. Ultimately you will come to the conclusion that the way they are setup is overly complex and they just won't do the things you really want like progressive linkage and they aren't big enough for good low-end toque.

GD

But the paperclip protrusion doesnt "poke out" in any way so doesn't always push on the accel pump ball. It sits flush with the bottom of the larger barrel, and the ball sits inside a smaller barrel beyond this, and can flop around within that smaller barrel.

Definitely hearing you on the overly complex statement!

It should be fine. The spring just keeps the ball from getting stuck up in the spring somewhere. It's just the accelerator pump check valve so when the plunger pushes down it will force the ball into the hole and block the passage. It's not supposed to push on it hard - if it did the ball wouldn't come off it's seat to let fuel into the pump chamber.

GD

Okay last question I promise..

The bowl vent valve that was in my carb is missing it's plunger. It literally just doesn't have one, and I understand it is supposed to. So it just doesn't do anything. Is this a problem and will I need to get a new valve?

2j3s0ua.jpg

Edited by fishboy
typo