Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Engine, drivetrain ect. into a 1988 Loyale

Jerry Robinson

Greetings,

I've done lots of searching but have not found anything specific to my idea.

That would be to put a complete engine, drivetrain and suspension under a 1988 2dr coupe. I know there would be issues with the wheelbase. Legacy being longer and wider. This could be resolved by shortening the rear drive shaft and all of the cv shafts.

I don't know about the suspension mounting. May not be possible or feasible.

Any ideas and opinions are more that welcome. Might not be doable but sure would make for an awsome ride.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

You'll want to use your stock CV axles and driveshaft. If you're switching to the Legacy transmission, might need to have the driveshaft shortened slightly, but I'm not completely positive.

You could also keep the stock transmission and get an adapter plate. But you'd be stuck with the weaker ea82 clutch.

You will shorten the driveshaft since the legacy tans is longer. wheelbase is the same width, as far as you use the legacy axles as they are.

For the front you will need to use the xt6 control arm or hog out the ball joint hole.

The rear you will have to fabricate a wheel well/strut tower.

Search for xt6 swaps in regards tot he front suspension. Search WRX brat for ideas on the rear suspesion, it will be a total fab, unless you just use xt6 parts to convert to 5 lug, or use the crossbred performance kit available from retroroo.com

The legacy engine will fit in the engine bay. you can couple the ej motor to the ea82 trans with a bellhousing adaptter. OR shorten the driveshaft and custom mounts to use the legacy trans. Axle stubs will line up to original axles.

You can use the legacy engine and trans with car's original suspenson if you use the 25 spline turbo axles

I swapped my 86 3door coupe with an impreza motor and full xt6 driveline, going from 1.8 carb front wheel 4 lug to full time 5spd 4wd.

Here is my build as an example. Although it uses an xt6 for suspension, i can use legacy or impreza parts to substitute the front suspension components. The rear however, is limited to what's there with no fab involved.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119353&highlight=3door

Many thanks for the response and information. Lots to chrew on but it sounds doable.

If any of this was to come to pass, I would love to turn the car into an Open Class Rally Car. From what I can understand reading the Vehicle requirements, engine, drivetrain and suspension is open. Sounds like they encourage innovation and mods. And nothing about year specific. But time will tell.

My son Rally's with a 1989 Chevy Cavelier. Finished his second Rally this year at Sno*Drift. "No games Racing" #762. Justin Robinson driver and Nick Fitzpatrick co-driver. Finshed 12th in class on Friday of 15. Three DNF. And

8th in class Saturday. Manage to bang up three sides and the hood. But finished.

Again, thanks for the reply.

We'll see.

JHR

Many thanks for the response and information. Lots to chrew on but it sounds doable.

If any of this was to come to pass, I would love to turn the car into an Open Class Rally Car.

In open class you will be running against some serious vehicles - prepped STi's and such.... Check out the Open Light class.

Even at that - a 2.2 in that coupe is not going to be real fast. You need something like a high compression 2.5 or a turbo engine.

The stock transmission doesn't have very favorable gearing either. Better to go with something that will have shorter gears.

Are you prepared to do a full roll-cage, racing seats, harnesses, and all the other bits and peices needed to run in Rally? I would do that stuff first and run the car the way it is to see if it's something you want to pursue.

GD

Thanks GD. I was thinking Open Light.

Yeah. It would be in the neighborhood of $5000 +- for the cage, seats, harness and all the safety equipment. Plus the donor car and conversion.

My son wants to go with a 2000 to 2002 Impreza 2.5 RS (Bug Eye). Likes the wider body and the potential for "vast" improvements from there.

That would be the wisest perhaps. But ya see lots of them and no Legacys. For a reason of course.

Well, more to chew on. Lots of knowledge here from people willin' ta share. Refreshing!

Thanks all. JHR