Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wind shield swap?

lyter1983

How do you tell the difference between an ea81 hatch and an ea82 3door coupe? I thought a 3door coupe was a hatch..

Not sure if this helps?

VIN# JF2AF53B1KE101312

This is what I've been able to find.

JF Fuji Heavy Industries.

2 Multi purpose vehicle

F Body type --- but It only lists C-4door and N-station wagon

5 1800cc AWD

3 GL model

B 3001-4000 weight class

1 Check digit

K Model year 89

E Gumma manufacture 4WD 5SPD Dual range. Tho I'm sure it only had a 4spd

101312 Sequential Number. Says 200001 and after 4door sedan

400001 and after Station Wagon.

But doesn't say what 100001 and after mean.

Sounds like an EA81 hatch. Espescially since you say it has an EA81 engine, and a 4spd confirms this.

Much shorter wheelbase than the EA81 wagons/sedans. EA81 wagons and sedans were eleminated in 85, but the brats continued til 87, and the hatches (Standards) til 89. You've got one of the last.

The EA82 3 door coupe, looks like a GL/Loyale in the front end, and has the same wheelbase as the EA82 wagon/sedan.

Alrighty then. Wish I had known better back then. I would have taken better care of it.. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and see what I can't salvage from it. I remember the engine running but with many oil leaks. The transmission shifted great, and the dual range worked great. Only reason I stopped driving it was because the muffler fell off, engine needed all new gaskets and I lost my job. I thought for sure that he had scrapped it already. But if the wind shield fits, it will save me a few hundred bucks. :D And because it was surrounded by trees the interior pieces I need aren't sun faded! :D

Passenger side, not bad just a little rust at the bottom. Driver side, same thing, little rust at the bottom, but I had to beat the piss out of it to get it open. The whole locking mechanism was completely rusted frozen. I tried spraying it will liquid wrench, freeze-off, and some other lubricants but in the end, I just used a pry bar and a hammer to "dismantle" the locking mech.. Gotta admit, it was a lot of fun. :D

P2130575.jpg

Edited by lyter1983
add photo

Is it 4WD? If so how's the gas tank and what would you want for it?

GD

It's got the dual range 4spd. But You're in Portland and I'm in Massachusetts, it's not really drivable.. I've already taken the engine out, half the dash board, struts were not even attached at the tophat. I had planned on cutting some of it's sheet metal out to weld into holes in the Brat. I definitely am using the wind shield and the front fenders. I guess for whats left I would take any reasonable offer. If you want what's left. There are numerous mouse nests through out it, my father used a tractor to push it around so both bumper mounts are mangled. It has also been sitting for 9 years. I could send you some more pictures if your really interested.

Is it 4WD? If so how's the gas tank and what would you want for it?

GD

Now that I read this again I'm wondering if you were just asking about the gas tank. It seems to look pretty good, better than mine, but the pump/level indicator is just RUST. I'm afraid to even touch the bolts. Same with the bolts that hold the tank to the body. It was sitting for 9 years.. :-\

Yeah I'm only interested in the tank itself. It could be shipped reasonable in a large box. They are only about 10" thick.

You can snap off the bolts that hold it to the body - they aren't important to the integrity of the tank. Sending unit I can deal with. I can have the tank epoxy lined and such. There's a drain bolt on the bottom of the tank. If you can get that out and see what, if anything will drain out..... if it's solid and not leaking I may be interested in it..... course with all the rust you have there and how long it sat... may be junk.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Sure. If it was cleaned up and made to not smell of gas, etc you could just plug all the ports, wrap the sharp edges, and slap a label on it. I got a large exhaust section (5' long and oddly shaped) from Fed-Ex that way just a few weeks ago (and they didn't even pad the sharp bits :dead:). They don't even neccesarily care if you put it in a box. That's how they ship tires too. Slap a label on them and throw it on the truck :drunk:.

But yeah - a box, some packing (newspaper works well) and some duct tape over the holes so it doesn't leak anything in transit... etc.

GD

Save all the rear end parts that are good when you dissasemble it - those are all spares for your Brat. The tank is smaller on Hatchbacks though and is particular to that body. Everything else is good. Especially save the torsion bar assembly in case you ever need one. Sometimes they fail due to rust on your side of the country.

GD