Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator Compatibility

The brand new alternators have been known to be bad right out the box from a discount parts store.

The Bosch branded reman's are the best I've used apart from the one's from the dealer. I've had really excellent results from them. I occasionally find the Bosch reman's on the Maxima's also.

One thing to note about the Maxima alts. Even the cheap remans tend to do fine in an EA Subaru. Remember these alts have 90 amps of capacity and aren't working very hard in a Subaru that came with a 50 amp when it was new.

GD

One thing to note about the Maxima alts. Even the cheap remans tend to do fine in an EA Subaru. Remember these alts have 90 amps of capacity and aren't working very hard in a Subaru that came with a 50 amp when it was new.

GD

Especially since I'm still rocking the stock equipment all around, no extra lights or stereo amp or anything like that. Hell, I still have the stock speakers! :brow:

Hi Guys. Boy the Maximas are a *************** to get out if you have to pull it your self, mounted underneath. I fitted one on my 88 GL10, as per GDs write up. It sure works well, really tell the difference at nite. I bought a reman, & sent the EA back as the core. The parts house didn't care as long as they had a core. Luck with yours. S.

Ratcheting 12mm makes them easy to remove. Takes me about 5 minutes to remove the Maxima alts at the yards. It's harder than the Subaru's though. :drunk:

GD

So...what you're saying is I need to invest in more tools? :brow:

I already put a ratcheting 10mm box end wrench on my list (for valve covers and the *** clutch fan). Now a 12mm...I could just jump for the whole set and save by buying in bulk :D

i took the brand new alternator from my 92 loyale wagon and put it on my 83 GL sedan noticed a slight difference, the only thing different is that the older 80's (ea81s) have a 55amp alternator and the ea82's have a 60amp. by the way i'd like to hear more about this maxima alternator compatibility myself, what year maxima's we talking bout here?

i took the brand new alternator from my 92 loyale wagon and put it on my 83 GL sedan noticed a slight difference, the only thing different is that the older 80's (ea81s) have a 55amp alternator and the ea82's have a 60amp. by the way i'd like to hear more about this maxima alternator compatibility myself, what year maxima's we talking bout here?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100559

GD's write up