Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 carb to a EA81 engine & liftkit

Scriptchip

I have a 1990 brumby with carbie problems, tried cleaning and servicing. no dice.

i have my dads old 85 l series. brumby runs a ea81 and the l series runs a ea82.

if i used the carb of the ea82 and put it on the ea81 will i have any problems ?

is this possible ?

also, l series has a 2 " lift on back and front. can i transfer it to my brumby ?

EDIT: including shocks ?

thank you in advance.

Edited by Scriptchip
Forgot a part.

I can't stand the Ea 82. I have heard other guys have liked them but not me. Every one I have come across I was replacing and the Ea 82T are even more of a piece of garbage in my opinion, and I love subies. I have an 88 Rx that had an Ea 82T and started having problems and I just yanked it out and I am rebuilding the reliable Ea 81 with some performance upgrades.

On the carb issue, I would get yourself a weber for the Ea 81. I myself stay away from the Ea 82. I would rather do an EJ swap before putting in the Ea 82, but I am just telling you what I have come across.

He's asking about putting just the carb from an EA82 on his EA81, not swapping the whole engine. I've only had EA82's, so I can't say for sure the hitachi will swap. There are feedback and non-feedback carbs. Make sure you have a non-feedback one. The computer controlled carbs have a mixture solenoid on them.

EA82's are not bad engines. I've beaten the hell out of them and they never let me down. I've got a crank and rods on my wall that came out of my 92. Three bent rods from hydrolocking it at 4k rpms. I drove it for a couple weeks after the water incident, not many engines you can do that to.

we put the ea82 carbs on ea81s it works well you have to move the coolant line to top of manifoild to clear distributor and grind a bit off bottom of intake to make it clear the top of engine use the whole manifold it fitts well but tight have to use ea82 top rad hose thiss works well theese carbs are way better have bigger secondarys and better chokes i even put them on ea71s best carb they ever made 85-89 gl [no electicfeedback carbs } as they are controled by ecu and will not work on older cars if it has an o2 probly whont work