Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hit a bump

1985 Gl 2wd wagon Hitachi carb. New fuel filter.

I hit a bump today doing about 20 mph. The engine started bogging down and I barely made it home. I checked for loose broken vac hoses and found none. Ran some sea foam into the gas line feed on the carb, it seamed to help but when i went to go out my drive way i hit a bump and it bogged again and now wont run except for if I keep my foot on the gas. Checked pump pressure and its fine. Checked all wire connections and grounds and they all check good.

I'm thinking dirt in the needle valve. Any thoughts from you experts? :-\

I did that once with a Corolla: big bump, and no idle. It had an Aisan carb, very similar to Hitachi. I could fix it by hitting another bump, just right. It got to the point I could almost turn it on and off on purpose, by hitting railway tracks or whatever while turning. I eventually fixed it by replacing the carb. I never did figure out what was going on to cause it.

Try hitting another bump, see if it helps.

Is there a fuel shutoff solenoid on it? Maybe it is sticky?

Its not the pcv valve, I put a spare in I had. Its loosing fuel into the carb but its not because of the pump. I'm done with this Hicrappy, Next nice day I'm putting the weber on. Would still be nice to know why when you hit bumps with these carbs they do this.:banghead: Guess after I take it off I will look at the internals to see If I can find the cause.