Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 outback and the springs and padding in the seats are worn out. I am going to be making some long commutes this summer so I would like to get chairs that are a little more supportive. I was thinking that the easiest thing to do would be get some out of a newer wrecked Sub with low miles.

Does anyone know what years will fit?

Do I need to look for legacy/O'B seats only, or will seats from an Impreza/Forester work too?

Is there a better or more cost effective way to get seats with better padding and more support? (Mostly, I am after lower back support.)

^ They'll all bolt in, but they'll fit different. I had '02 WRX seats in my '90 Legacy and they were too tall and forward on the Passenger side - if that matters. But fit OK on the Driver's side, since I could lower them.

The '90-'04 Legacy/OB/GT should all interchange, and I believe thru 2007 for the Impreza/Forester. Not sure about the '05+Legacy/outback.

I've read mixed reviews on the newer Legacy seats, so might do some reading on here.

Depending on $$ you could take your seats to a upholstery shop and get 'em fixed up.

Td

• 1 month later...

Well, I checked out a local upholstery shop and he quoted "at least $300" to do both pieces of the driver's side seat.

The local salvage yard has several, but pretty much all of them feel just as beat down as my seat. There was one seat in a 2005 that felt a lot better than mine, but the guy at yard said 2005 wouldn't fit.

Can anyone shed any light on the difference between 2005 and before?

I'm decent at fabricating shims and customizing, but I'm not a wizard like some, and I don't want to kill a whole weekend making something work.

The yard wants $100-$150 per seat depending on the mileage.

Also, some of the seats have airbags. I'm assuming that doesn't matter if I don't plug them into anything.

If you find a seat at a yard, carry it over to a car like yours and see how it fits and if you like the way it sits in the car.

The seats should all have the same mounting pattern till 08 or so.

I personally don't like the 4th gen legacy seats, they're too big and firm without enough support (that's not what she said). My mom has one, it always makes my back hurt on long trips. They're so huge I'm not sure they'd fit very well in a 2nd gen anyway.

I have a 98 limited with the leather seats and they're REALLY comfortable.

The third gen leather seats are really nice too and should fit very well.