Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just Signed Up

Hey guys,

I just completed my registration and thought I would introduce myself. So here I go. After being with my wife for 2 years now I was finally convinced to get my first Subaru. I traded my truck in for an Impreza (the truck was beat up pretty bad). I picked up an 02 Impreza 5spd with 58k on it. The previous owner seems to have been rather rough on it as the synchro in first gear is worn, the gear fluids were all jet black, and it's on very cheap tires. That said, it runs great and stopped burning oil after a valve cover gasket replacement.

My wife drives a 2000 Legacy L automatic with 157k on it. It's had almost no problems apart from the head gasket, timing belt, brakes and tires. It still runs amazingly well.

I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Thanks,

Andrew

Welcome. Wow an Impreza with 58K! What a deal. Best of luck with it. If I can make a suggestion, change the transmission oil as soon as possible with inexpensive 75W-90 gear oil. Run for a day or two and then replace the gearoil with the Redline gearoil (75W-90NS); the NS version is specifically meant to reduce the wear on the synchros and you might be able to put off the transmission repair/rebuild for a few years.

I'm currently at 226K miles on my '97 Impreza but since I rallycross extensively I've replaced the transmission twice (car was bought with 130K on it; replaced that transmission at 150K with a junkyard tranny with 120K on it; and again at 200K with a JDM transmission with 46K on it. That tranny is holding up just fine.

If it grinds a bit going into first while rolling thats pretty typical of subaru 5 speeds. It's a rather old design. That being said the above advice on redline oil is pretty sound.

Every subaru 5 speed I've driven has 1st gear hangups, it just comes with the territory.

If it grinds a bit going into first while rolling thats pretty typical of subaru 5 speeds. It's a rather old design. That being said the above advice on redline oil is pretty sound.

Every subaru 5 speed I've driven has 1st gear hangups, it just comes with the territory.

Consider it normal as long as there are no shavings in the oil, the other gears shift smothly, and 1st engages smoothly from a stop.

None of the subarus i ever had liked going into 1st while moving. I make my shift at the moment the car comes to a stop.

Welcome to the board!

Personally, I have found it takes two flushes to get the tranny shifting smoothly again (at least for a Subaru 5 speed). Good news, it teaches you rev matching. :D I run Mobile 1 75-90 in my trannies, but Redline is also an excellent choice.

Welcome to the board!

Personally, I have found it takes two flushes to get the tranny shifting smoothly again (at least for a Subaru 5 speed). Good news, it teaches you rev matching. :D I run Mobile 1 75-90 in my trannies, but Redline is also an excellent choice.

I typically run Amsoil but work's been slow and I needed to change it all immediately. It was jet black when I drained it and there was a huge snow storm coming (we got 18"). I'll probably change it again this summer and throw the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140 in there and switch the engine over to Amsoil as well.