Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How easy is it to bust into an EA82?

So I come home from a four-day vacation this morning... To find that Ned was moved... :eek:

I can account for the 3 keys that are with the car, sister has one, Mom has one and I have one... No other keys made. These 3 people were with me so I know the car wasnt moved by one of them...

So is it far out to think that someone took him for a joyride? And if so... (although Im thankful for it) why return him to the driveway...?

Whoever did it, didnt know/didnt do it right that the door handles have to be lifted up when locking, so the doors were unlocked. I KNOW for sure that the doors were locked when we left because I knew Id be gone 4 days and I dont want to leave my doors unlocked that long.

So I guess my idea is someone unlocked my car, drove it and returned it... No Im not crazy, where he was parked and where he is NOW parked differs by about 3-4 feet.

If you've ever thought about installing a passive anti-theft system, like a hidden ignition interlock, now is the time. :-\

It should be cheaper than getting new locks/keys made, and some insurance companies will give you a discount for it. icon14.gif

Was anything taken from inside?

If one could defeat the steering lock, the car can be started and ran with 2 wires under the hood. There is no shifter lock out. You can start the car if you can get the hood open. You can steal it without having to break into it.

Look for a hole under the steering colimn. One could easily poke a drill bit in the right spot to defeat the lock pin.

I can break into an EA82 in less then 5 minutes with a metal coat hanger..... It's not rocket science, just takes practice.

Before I had made copies, I had one key for my silver RX and locked it in there while I was on a date. Got it open with a coat hanger I got from a 24 hour grocery store. Since it WAS 12:30 in the morning:-\

Is it possible they got into the car, rolled it a few feet, realized it wouldn't start, and left it? Or were trying to roll Ned onto a dolly but couldn't quite get it right due to (neighbors, decided the car across the street was shinier, couldn't turn the wheel/get the alignment right...etc)?

My Loyale was stolen once, but it was due to the key my missing my pocket in the dark and not realizing it. Though, apparently, the neighbor kids DID notice. Woke up at 4am to a sheriff asking if I knew where my car was.

just about any subaru key works on these with a wiggle or 2 or you can buy "jiggle keys"which are lock picks for cars theyre like $40 online and with my set theres not a car ive ever had that i couldnt pick.(i like these better for my hide-a-key because if they find it they wont know what it is or how to use it.)

sorry your car was violated, was the seat position changed? or the mirrors? is there any scratches or metal shavings around the locks?

if not you may just be going crazy:grin:

Could have been an accidental repossession. Ive heard quite a few stories of Repo drivers picking up a car then driving around the corner with it before checking the VIN. Although, if it was obvious that no-one was home, it would have to be a really stupid person to just hook and go like that.

I've got no clue.

We had moved the car to the left of our driveway. On Friday when I was gone, it was noted that we could fit 3 cars in the driveway that way, and it was done for a get together.

On Monday I noted Ned wasn't where I left him and brought it up to my Mom since she had a key, she said he was not moved by anyone with her key, but he had to have been moved because no longer could 3 cars fit.

I realize he was returned... but I'm bothered by this...

can't tell if new mud/grass but I figure on a few extra miles... hard driving miles by the 1/8 of a tank sitting below E now.

...No Im not crazy, where he was parked and where he is NOW parked differs by about 3-4 feet.

lol, somebody should start a poll. What happened to Ned?

a.) He moved himself.

b.) His owner forgot he moved him.

c.) He was pushed

d.) He was the victim of racial profiling.

A= if your Driveway is on steep angle... that happens on Front e-Brake even with gearbox on first gear, but takes time, as I Posted here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130339

Look at Post Nº 10 for a Fully explanation, and that might be the Cause along you left the Door unlocked and Forgot that... unless Ned is auto trans.

Kind Regards.

I bet it was neighbor kids if it was moved. Its amazing what kids will do. I was raised an inner city youth and while I didn't steal any cars, I knew lots of people who did and would return them too. Just so they could drive them again later. Hows it feel to have a 14yr old drive your car while you were away?

I bet it was neighbor kids if it was moved. Its amazing what kids will do. I was raised an inner city youth and while I didn't steal any cars' date=' I knew lots of people who did and would return them too. Just so they could drive them again later. Hows it feel to have a 14yr old drive your car while you were away?[/quote']

Still perplexed. I use to mark the driveway when I took my parents car for rides and made sure car was where they parked it. Why not try to put him in the same spot?