Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How easy is it to bust into an EA82?

OK... maybe a lil' dose of reality here... You probly did it yourself.... I know I've done dumber ***************... But, mostly, who really wants to "joyride" in your car, i mean c'mon man, it's a 26 year old subaru sedan!? Not exactly on the list of targets for joyriders.... I'm willing to bet there's not a single person out there who drools over that car, 'cept for maybe you...

Not trying to be a d!****** but seriously man.... Get over it... You did it, accept it......

:horse:

i just purchased an 83 GL and i can pull the keys out while running, not something i personally like, but i do make sure to lock my doors.. i know personally its not hard to break into a subie n steal stuff as it happend to me on my 93 loyale, my saving grace from the car being stolen was it was out of gas LOL

The car was at about 1/8 of a tank.. Now sat below E.

Its time for a motor swap, itll be moved to a secret location and then... engine removed, there will be no ability to drive it.

Spoke to my neighbor, he didnt hear anything, but says he was asleep most of the weekend. Im going to ask a few more neighbors.

If it was a prank, I dont find it funny and someone will be :horse: by the time its over. I realize it may seem like it was my doing, but the car was where I left it Friday night and Saturday morning and Sunday morning it was moved and Monday when I came home, I noticed the movement. I was at Great Wolf lodge all weekend.

I dont wanna keep this going off topic, just expressed my concern that the car was moved... Now that I hear its pretty easy to be broken into, I gotta figure something out... maybe one of those steering lock things... Im not thinking aftermarket alarm, those seem to be so touchy...

Easy enough with some wire/coat hanger. Id go get a club! and not the beating kind... a steering wheel lock bar! They work, and are an easy/cheap deterrent to youth and thiefs.

I am always paranoid that this or worse may happen to my soob... luckily it hasnt, and like many of your cars, my current ea81 and all of them 5 total, have been able to start car with just about anything, also able to pull the key out with car running.

Also, next time you know your going to be out of town for a length of time away from Ned, unhook your battery and coil wire. Easy fix but someone in a hurry may not catch it.

I've got no clue.

We had moved the car to the left of our driveway. On Friday when I was gone, it was noted that we could fit 3 cars in the driveway that way, and it was done for a get together.

On Monday I noted Ned wasn't where I left him and brought it up to my Mom since she had a key, she said he was not moved by anyone with her key, but he had to have been moved because no longer could 3 cars fit.

I realize he was returned... but I'm bothered by this...

can't tell if new mud/grass but I figure on a few extra miles... hard driving miles by the 1/8 of a tank sitting below E now.

Oh, he was moved sideways? That is different. I thought he had moved backward. That's not an accident.

My latest favorite method of disabling the car is to undo the bolt holding the shifter handle to the linkage. This will only last until I replace the shifter boot this spring, but in the meanwhile it works like a charm. Pulling the wire between the coil and the disty won't hurt the car, and even if whoever tries to grab it figures out what's missing *there is nothing they can do about it*, which can not be said for disconnecting the battery cable. Pull the whole 6" wire and take it with you.

OK... maybe a lil' dose of reality here... You probly did it yourself.... I know I've done dumber ***************... But, mostly, who really wants to "joyride" in your car, i mean c'mon man, it's a 26 year old subaru sedan!? Not exactly on the list of targets for joyriders.... I'm willing to bet there's not a single person out there who drools over that car, 'cept for maybe you...

Not trying to be a d!****** but seriously man.... Get over it... You did it, accept it......

:horse:

You'd be surprised. Mine went offroading on a BMX course. I had (and still have, long story) a hole in the muffler. The neighbors with property backing up to the course called the cops, the cops showed up and the car popped out of the woods, saw the cars and assembled force preparing a game plan to come after them and took off through the neighborhood. Found the car, but the kids were gone (along with my tools and a few other things).

From what I was able to gather between interviews and walking the course, it was in 4wd jumping off jumps, doing washboards, rolling over table tops, and bouncing off big banked dirt walls. It must have been quite the ride! Only a few scratches and a detached blinker to show for it, fortunately.

Edited by man on the moon

Just leave it unlocked with the keys in it. If they are going to steal it, at least make sure it won't be broken into :lol:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You got it back, so that's all that matters. If it happens again, then I would be worried. But if it only happens once, meh. I have bigger things to worry about! BUT if I was to do something like that I would just activate the starter kill on my remote start system. That way when I lock the car with the remotes, it won't start until I unlock it with the remote. It will start remotely, but if I don't unlock it with the remote before getting into it, it will just die when I try to leave. It's a nice feature. I don't have it enabled now because I just don't care.

Along those same line you could install an "alarm system" but just not actually install the "alarm" part. Just have the keyless entry and the starter kill functions. Just a thought.

Just for fun though, I would leave a note on the dash (all the time) asking them to atleast fill it up next time! :)

...a steering wheel lock bar! They work, and are an easy/cheap deterrent to youth and thiefs. ...

That is Good Advice, I Use one on each car since Years ago, with Great Results.

Oh, he was moved sideways? That is different. I thought he had moved backward. That's not an accident...

Oh, Now I Understand better the Situation... So the Car Didn't move by itself at all.

Couldn't it be some kind of Joke from a Prankster friend of yours?

Kind Regards.