Ultimate Subaru Message Board

unbalanced braking (brakes)

When I drive on a slippery wet road and I lock up all the wheels the rear immediately pulls to the right. Unlock brakes puts car straight again. This happens only when I lock the wheels. Under normal circumstances it just brakes and drives fine.

What could be the cause of this unbalance. All tires are the same, tire pressure is the same. Front brakes where refurbished (myself), and rear brakes I have never touched. (I have to think if I pressed the clutch or not, most probably yes)

The car is a 1999 Impreza station 1.6 with no ABS (yes not standard here) with 80k miles.

What brake setup is on the car (ie disk/drum or all wheel disk)?

From the sounds of it that could just be how your car reacts with the tires locked. Also depending on the roads it could be the crown put in the middle to shed water causing the rear to want to continue moving and the easiest route is down the bit of slope.

I run into the same problem driving on snow. My front wheel drive impreza will track with the rear out 6 inches or so with the handbrake engaged going in a straight line.

It is discs in the front and drum only in the rear. They are not seased as far as i know. I can turn the wheels when off the ground (it is AWD).

Could be indeed the road a bit as well. But also on snow it wants to go a bit sideways. But never lost control, probably because I lift up my foot if I want to steer.