Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changed rear bearing,but still have play

I have read post after post, and have not found what I'm looking for. Changed the rear bearing on my 93 Loyale 4WD wagon (drum brakes). Had shop remove/install bearings. I only installed rear spindle, used a piece of pipe to keep outer bearing from moving and gently tappped with rubber mallot, till it felt solid. mounted everything back, grabbed tire top and bottom, still have play. Help:banghead:

Edited by superpoo93
needed to enter more info

axle nut go's very tight 200+ ft lbs make shure the berring retainer nut is tight the big round one in back with 4 dogs on it look at the splines on stub and drum and cone washer check all that stuff for where if the cone washer is worn down the nut will bottom before drum titens up

I did not even think of the cone washer...duh. Torqued to 150lbs+. originally.

Thanks for giving your advise, I let you know what I found in a couple days.

The way I tighten the axle nut is stand on the end of my 2' breaker bar. So that's my weight x2. Then jump on it till I can get the pin through. Rear bearings have been fine for three years. Because there's the spacer in there, you can't over tighten the bearing. The spacer sets the pre-load.

Did you check the splines on the inside of the hub?

Did you check the mating face of the hub where it rides against the inner race?

Did you get the lockring on the back secured all the way? If not the outer race can walk in the knuckle.

It's also possible that the bearing was pressed improperly. If all the other stuff checks out.....take it back to them....ask if they pressed the outer race seperately.....or if they just slammed the whole thing in. If they pressed the whole bearing as one piece they could have damaged it. There is a spacer between the bearing races, so if they get damaged....no amount of tightening will fix.

Because there's the spacer in there, you can't over tighten the bearing. The spacer sets the pre-load.

Actually you can.

If you are trying to overtightem it to take slack from a damaged bearing, all you will end up doing is smashing the hub face against the bearing race til it deforms and creates a ridge. Once this is done....the hub is trashed. If you install it with new bearings, take those bearings out in short order.

150 ftlbs. is plenty. If the bearings won't get tight.....something else is wrong.