Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 2.2 in 2.5 hole

ivans imports

just installing a 96 2.2 into a 96 outback 2.5 seems to fitt better than the original moter very few differances in the manifoilds and wire harness plugs right in bitt of diff no egr on 2.2 will sort that out i dont find mutch power differance and the reliability is way better a used 2.2 goes for 800$ and a headgasket job on a 2.5 go's for 2000$ + it just makes sense to put the 2.2 in theese cars should have came with it in first place have put 2.2 s from 89-97 into theese outbacks some things are different on eraly engines but the interchangeabily is very good have no unhappy customers with thiss convertion even the 2.2 with the twin cam heads works good gets rid of that weak 2.5 small rod journal engine witch has realy weak rod berrings that are phisicaly to small for applacation

actualy i used a 96 standard model 2.2 used its engine wire harness the differance is in there somewhere cause no check engine light at all with no egr we put about 30kms on it and ran for an hour or better no check engine light i think that the 2.2 engine harness takes care of the lack of egr ive done thiss swap many times but never with the exact year of engine we ushaly use the outback engine harness on the 2.2 thiss one matched exactly even though 96 leg 5 speed to 96 outback auto pluged right in

It can take a while for you to get the P0400 code related to the lack of an EGR because the EGR only opens during part throttle cruise and the ECU has to look at the MAP sensor data over several drive cycles to determine if there is an EGR flow problem. Using the engine harness for the 2.2 will not help. The difference is both in the vehicle wiring harness and in the ECU.

Here in Oregon you can still get them to pass since cars prior to the 2000 model year can have up to two incomplete readiness monitors and still pass the inspection. So you just drive it around till you have two or less monitors in the not-ready state and then hit the test station. It will not have had enough time to pop the P0400 code yet and you'll go through the test without fail. :)

GD

no test stations here air care hasent got here yet anthing go's as long as it not to loud

Sure - but who really wants to look at a check engine light?

Theres ways to eliminate it and that is the professional way to handle it. I would never let a customer drive off with a car that's going to pop a CEL due to my work.

GD

remeber its a low budget job the coustomer dosent what to spend the money to make it right some days i have to bite my tounge and let it go still had no check engine light when it left and had no calls back to tell me it came on they just whanted a cheap moter that whould make there rusty outback go agian if it was mine diferent story but customer is always right round here 8out of ten cars have check engine lights on because people are just to poor to spend money on sensors to just make light go out when the car runs ok drives me nuts i have ten calls a week on check engine lights when i tell them needs a konck senser and its 350$ they dont seem to care about the light anymore subaru parts are grossly over priced here eg water pump from subaru dealer for 99 ej moter 295 $ timing belt 285$ wires 175 $ filler spout for gas tank 265$ it sucks that parts are so exspensive people just cant afford it a outback 2.5 d rebiuld costs over 5000$ for me to do it right so 800$ for a good used moter even with check engine light is still way better for them i will pm you when the light turns on just for fun will c how long it takes

• 3 weeks later...
You need to order some Knock sensors from Bheinen74:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128092&highlight=Knock+sensors

Much cheaper alternative to the dealer part and will make you some labor $$ rather than possibly losing a customer due to a very common issue.

I don't think Ivan is having a problem losing customers, I think the local Subaru Dealer is having a problem losing customers to him !

why dont you buy subaru stuff online? i can get all the stuff you listed for WAYYYY cheaper....just tell the customer you cant do the job til it gets there.......will save you and the customer money.....plus people will appreciate a mechanic that can get the parts at a better price hence giving you more business......

rockauto has great prices on some things..... ebay is another good one but beware of fake china made stuff..... theres a bunch i and others could list

I move cars through my shop fast engine job 2 days headgasket job 12 hours it takes to long to get parts. And i can just send my customer to pickup box at dealer no fuss no gess i'm very good freinds with both local dealers and there parts guys work with me. Internet parts are cheaper but somtimes a shot in the dark. I have to remember its not me paying for parts. I save my customers so mutch money on jobs by doing things properly. The bugger is that the subaru factory parts are almost 1\2 price in usa.