Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cost to undercoat a brat?

I usually oil undercoat all of my stuff. Bar an chain oil does quite well. After you do it drive it on a dry dirt road so it sticks to the bottom of the car really well. I apply it using a spray gun I have, I think it was under $20 for it and the bar and chain oil is pretty cheep as well.

I would vote for going underneath and treating with POR-15. You can get a pint or a quart. A quart is $50. You would probably not use a whole quart, but a pint would be close. Only open what you can use up. this stff stretches a long way.

i would treat the rrust, howeer slight, with a wire wheel or sand paper. I would use the naval jelly on crustier, flakier areas. chip off any rust flakes, and rinse off the naval jelly residue with water, blot dry. Then apply por 15.

this product cures with moisture and humidity. Any moisture absorbes into the rust would cure into the paint.

It is designed to paint over rust, but knocking off the surface of the rust will minimize the amount of rust you have to treat.

This stuff is great to paint onto the trailing arms and the top of the gas tank if you want to remove it, and the underside a=of the bed above the gas tank.

From here, you can apply an undercoat. Apply something like stone-guard product on areas that would be abraded by gravel, sand, and salt. The tar stuff is messy and the rubberized stuff is only effective as sound dampening.

If you know where to look for rusy, you will probably find it. these cars tend to rust in patterns, in specific areas, and known trouble areas can be treated pre-emptively if you would inevitability expect rust in these areas.

Edited by MilesFox

Ive never really had good luck with Por 15 honestly. If the surface is rough and has some rust and is cleaned properly then yes the stuff will stick to it. Otherwise if you are applying it to clean metal and follow all the prep instructions to the T...it still wants to peel off in sheets. Maybe i missed something idk but others on here have had better luck with rust bullet. Its cheaper and seems to stick to stuff better than por 15.