Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impr. L - Need to fix rust spot behind left rear wheel (donor car years?)

Here's my problem area:

DSC01520.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

I'm finishing up a reasonable rust fix on my '98 CR-V in the equivalent spot. For that I found a car being parted out and they let me saw a hunk out of the car. I was able to get the stamped sheet metal pieces I needed to do a good patch job.

On this car, I'd like to do the same, without worrying about cosmetic perfection - I just want to stop the rust progression, fill the gap, and have the bumper cover attachment point back.

My first question is - What range of years of Impreza Wagon would have matching sheet metal there? (There are several layers involved, including the wheelwell.) I'm confident that 93-96 will match my 95, but I'm wondering about 97-2000 (maybe 2001?) I know that the roll-out cargo cover on a 97 is not the same as 95 and 96, so there was an interior redesign in the rear for 97.

My next question is - any suggestions where I can get the "hunk of a rust-free car" I need? For the CR-V I was able to do the cutting myself, but if I don't find a local donor car I might need to look at more options. Maybe someone here would be willing to "saw and sell." I lucked out with my CR-V - the donor car was already pretty well stripped, had no rust in the subject area, and was sitting behind a shed in a very rural compound. He only wanted $20.

Here's the CR-V target area near to when the outer patch was applied:

DSC01500.jpg

The patch cut from the donor car:

DSC01504.jpg

An inner view without the patches in place:

DSC01498.jpg

An exterior view after the above patch was bonded with a couple screws and JB-Weld:

DSC01514.jpg

And the inner patch screwed in place but not yet bonded with the JB-Weld (much bigger area since I had dug out to get at the rust):

DSC01511.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Bry