Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inlet manifold - what's it SUPPOSED to look like when carb is off?

So i've removed the hitachi carb from my EA82 (my first time doing this) and I'm staring the inlet manifold. As you can see in the photo, the bottom hole seems to be gunked up with something.

Is this hole supposed to be totally clear? Or is there supposed to be a smaller tube poking out within it or something? I can't tell if this is just a big blob of gunk or whether it is a corroded pipe (or something), and I'm afraid to touch it as I don't want rubbish falling down inside the engine.

What should I do??

6fw16v.jpg

from my limited knowledge, anycrud that does fall in the little front portion will go into the cooling system jackets, you would just rinse it out with the radiator hose off and the crud wouldnt end up in your radiator. The crud is not going to go into the engine if it is the front little place.

I will have my weber carb off later this week on my EA81 Brat to install a stock carb instead, but it is similar I can take pic and see if it is tubing or what? I have forgot by now.