Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rod knock? (video enclosed)

Just wondering if you guys think this knocking noise is rod knock, or what.

It does it cruising at about 3k RPMs. It did it the whole entire way from Maine to NYC, and back. It was a little disconcerting at first, but I started to ignore it.. But doesn't really do it when not under load (which is why I had to rev it a bit), and totally goes away when at WOT.

I really don't think it's the tensioner flopping around, I'm running coverless and it stays perfectly put.

Ignore the smoke... something is leaking oil onto the y-pipe...

Ya, mine make a pretty terrible noise when it's cold. But that vid is warm. Which is why it has me slightly more concerned.

Its always hard to tell from a video, but it does not sound like a rod.

Since its louder at start ( cold ) maybe piston slap.

Get an automotive stethoscope and look/ listen around.

Accessories ( alternator, power steering pump, AC comp.) can make a lot of noise. Pull off your accessory drive belts , if the sound is still there( wasn't an accessory) you will be able to hear the engine much better.

Run the engine till you can hear the noise, and start pulling/grounding plug wires or shorting out plugs one at a time till you find the offending cylinder( noise will change, get much softer or disappear when there is no fire on bad cylinder).

Also the timing belt tensioner can make clicking /knocking sound when worn( with a stethoscope you will be able to find out where the sound is coming from).

Edited by Robert Harik

Its always hard to tell from a video, but it does not sound like a rod.

Since its louder at start ( cold ) maybe piston slap.

Get an automotive stethoscope and look/ listen around.

Accessories ( alternator, power steering pump, AC comp.) can make a lot of noise. Pull off your accessory drive belts , if the sound is still there( wasn't an accessory) you will be able to hear the engine much better.

Run the engine till you can hear the noise, and start pulling plug wires or shorting out plugs one at a time till you find the offending cylinder( noise will change, get much softer or disappear when there is no fire on bad cylinder).

Also the timing belt tensioner can make clicking /knocking sound when worn( with a stethoscope you will be able to find out where the sound is coming from).

The could sound is definitely piston slap, and that's loud enough to cover this noise. I'd call this a cross between ticking and knocking. It's more pronounced than valvetrain noise, which it also has...

The stethoscope is a good idea, as is checking the accessories. As you can see, the AC is disconnected as it doesn't work anyway.

I can also pull injector plugs, that way the ZAP ZAP ZAP noise of spark jumping won't confuse noises. Or electrocute me :)

I don't think it's the timing belt tensioner, since I don't have covers I can see it. It's my understanding they slap up and down when they make this noise?

Mine stays rock solid, I actually got a shot of it in that vid to prove.

It's an auto, I thought about cracked flexplate. I checked the bolts, and they're all tight. So it's not that.

I can't tell where it's coming from, the valves make a lot of noise too...

I'll probably send the oil off at the next oil change... if it makes it that long...

The could sound is definitely piston slap, and that's loud enough to cover this noise. I'd call this a cross between ticking and knocking. It's more pronounced than valvetrain noise, which it also has...

The stethoscope is a good idea, as is checking the accessories. As you can see, the AC is disconnected as it doesn't work anyway.

I can also pull injector plugs, that way the ZAP ZAP ZAP noise of spark jumping won't confuse noises. Or electrocute me :)

I don't think it's the timing belt tensioner, since I don't have covers I can see it. It's my understanding they slap up and down when they make this noise?

Mine stays rock solid, I actually got a shot of it in that vid to prove.

I don't know about yours but my injectors/ plugs are hard to get to.

You can use a regular test light , hook the test light ground to an engine ground and either pierce the plug boot with the sharp end of the tester( when you want to ground out that plug) or you can stick straight pins into each boot and then touch it with the tester probe.

Edited by Robert Harik

Pokin holes in the wire boots sounds like a really terrible idea. It will let spark leak out, let water in, and make a mess of expensive set of wires. They're only a year old, no way am I destroying them.

My injector plugs are easy to access. It's hard to tell if it makes a difference when I pull the connectors off. It runs so rough.

I am trying to help you , you don't have to follow my advice , but don't be rude.

Giving advice that will cause more issues down the road is cause for being rude. Compromising high tension wires by poking holes in the insulation is a bad diagnostic method.

That sounds like rod knock in your video. If it was piston slap it would do a steady smack smack smack at idle. Floating the RPMS around 3k and having the noise get worse or getting a back-rattle as you let the RPMS come back down are often signs of rod knock. A flex plate will often clank at idle too.

My friends WRX sounded like yours does for about 5 months before it finally spun 2 bearings. He was hard on it too. So you may have some time before it dies.

Is there any oil additive that'll help with bearing wear? Should I run really thick oil?

Usually, I'm really opposed to magic in a bottle type fixes. But if it's going to blow up anyway, why not? Maybe it'll actually help extend the life a bit, obviously noting I add will fix the bearings...

And I wouldn't be surprised if it is rod knock. The previous owner of this engine overheated it to the point of seizure, twice.

Definitely sounds like all the light rod knockers I've listened to. Pretty common on the 25D to hear that. I've torn several of them down just to verify. Wiped out bearing inserts is what I always find.

The difference between that and piston slap is that piston slap is very rythmic sounding. It's a regular, timed slapping noise that doesn't sound like morse code. Same goes for valve adjustment. What you have sounds irregular. That is classic rod knock.

That said - it could run that way for quite a while as long as you keep oil in it.

GD

It does lose a little bit of oil, but I don't think it's burning it. It leaks out of the separator plate onto the exhaust. That's why it's smoking in that video... When I was putting the engine in the car I sad eff it, it's not going to last long enough to matter. haha. I basically needed the car to be running RGIHT NOW, and that's what I had.

I figured it was rod knock. It had piston slap (that's now pretty much gone away, wtf?). And it also has valve noise, pretty bad. But I figured that noise was something more bad. heh.

It's already run about 2.5k miles like that....

i used lucas stabilizer as 50% in a rod knock motor and ran it another 14 THOUSAND MILES says on the bottle you can use up to 60%. Also in my first legacy, I used it in the motor which smoked at 240k and kept driving it smoke free until just after 250k when the trans went south. that car was a hertz rental in its early life