Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rod knock? (video enclosed)

Yup, used lucas miracle in a bottle on a friends kid's misubishi 3.0l v6 that he had run on less than a quart of oil for a month. It would make bad rapping noises, so he'd toss a quart of oil in it and drive it until it made bad noises again. Never bothered to check the dipstick.

I fixed the leaking front main, put a quart of Lucas and the rest normal oil and it held together for the rest of the time he had it.

Funny follow up to that was it started leaking like a sieve a few months after that. He had gotten in the habit of tossing a quart of oil in it every now and then and never checking the dipstick. Well, since I fixed the leak he had filled it near to the valve covers with oil. Damn kid. :rolleyes:

pull its pistons have them knurlled and put them back in shuts up any ive done instantly

That's not going to fix rod knock.

If I'm going to rebuild an engine and make it all nice, I'll do it to an SOHC 2.5. Then make an adapter plate to put a phase1 intake manifold on it.

It does lose a little bit of oil, but I don't think it's burning it. It leaks out of the separator plate onto the exhaust. That's why it's smoking in that video... When I was putting the engine in the car I sad eff it, it's not going to last long enough to matter. haha. I basically needed the car to be running RGIHT NOW, and that's what I had.

I figured it was rod knock. It had piston slap (that's now pretty much gone away, wtf?). And it also has valve noise, pretty bad. But I figured that noise was something more bad. heh.

It's already run about 2.5k miles like that....

If you do have a rod knocking( and all the other noises going on) and you have run it for that many miles you will probably have a lot to replace( might have to get another engine to rebuild). Have you cut open the oil filter on any of the oil changes?