Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Riddle me this Batman

I finally got a few days to work on my 81 Brat. Work has been ridiculous end of project always gets crazy! I pulled the ea81 had bad HG into radiator causing it to pressurize and dump fluid. So it got a degrease never had such a greasy engine! new HG and reseal. new clutch pressure plate water pump oil pump o rings new radiator belts and hoses. So now the riddle: primed oil started on the second try but will not idle. She runs smooth at 1000/1100 rpm. Oil good, water good, no vacuum leaks I can find. Idled good at 500/600 rpm before surgery. I changed fuel line filter, and filter inline (several filters in glove box tells me PO has issue with fuel) I want to Weber but have budget like everyone else. Oh and rant to the PO gasket fix in a bottle does not work DUMB*** It took five bottles of CLR and 2 hours with a steam pressure washer to clean the block!! But it looked good when done. So any suggestions? :banghead:

Bratteardown004.jpg

cody004.jpg

cody001.jpg

12-29-11001.jpg

the idle ciurcts in theese carbs are realy bad for pluging up teardown the carb and clean the idle ciruct out sometimes a good rpm and put your hand over the top of carb a cupple times will pull the junk through idle circut ps brat boy looks like a good power plant just get him ti spin the tranny shaft and good to go lol

I'll be the first to say it. Ge a Weber. It should have been the FIRST thing I did when I bought my BRAT. But I suffered the perils of the Hitachi. This thread has a ton of info. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29778
Thanks for the link. I wear out the search button here! I will I will be moving from Fort Worth to a new project in a bodink town north of Houston in a few weeks and that always drains the bank account. But a Weber in the near future I hope.

My 14 inch tire upgrade didn't go as planned these are off a Nissan and on front they are good back spacing turn to lock both ways with room to run hand all around, the back not so much they will need 1/2 spacer to clear:mad: Searching for spacers I guess.

brat002.jpg

Seat bracket cleaned up and mounted still need to paint the headrest mount.

brat003.jpg

And I have a few spare cell doors to trade for any of you doomsday preparers out there, slightly used with peek door, and cuff port. Turn your shipping container into a secure dwelling local pick up only.

brat004.jpg

i have the exact brat i put tbi on mine and toyata 4x4 truck 15 in rims the stock crome ones are the best the tbi fixed all the carb problems instantly and has been running problem free for years now the problem with your carb could be fixed or i have put the carb from a ea82 engine on theese older cars it takes some enginering have to move the holddown bolts but is bigger carb and works realy good i have one on a 77 1.6 ea71 works realy good could get some pics of it if you like boy i love my 81 gen one brat ea81 and high low best year ever 12 years of reliabilaty

i have the exact brat i put tbi on mine

Forgive my ignorance but what is tbi? All I can think of is turbo back induction?? If so I would like some more details. I was wondering if Toyota 15 would fit better. I got the Nissan 14 with like new tires for cheap. I will keep a look out. Is your 81 lifted? I don't want to lift YET.:brow:

• 2 weeks later...
the idle ciurcts in theese carbs are realy bad for pluging up teardown the carb and clean the idle ciruct out sometimes a good rpm and put your hand over the top of carb a cupple times will pull the junk through idle circut ps brat boy looks like a good power plant just get him ti spin the tranny shaft and good to go lol

Plus one on this.

Did you get it sussed already?

Plus one on this.

Did you get it sussed already?

Have not had the time to even look at my brat (the subi not the kidd) I am at the last couple of weeks to finish and sell this jail, with all the headaches that go along with it. Owner had a twelve page wish list, they call a punch list that I have been dealing with. I will be moving From Fort Worth to east Texas as soon as they sign off, and I will have the time to tinker on my subi again. And relax for a minute :drunk: