Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FelPro Gasket Sets -

hello everyone,

I'm planning on pulling the motor and doing a complete re-seal on a 1985 GL-10 Wagon, 4wd, 5-spd, Carb. I plan on doing the work during spring break -last week in March - with my 16 year old son who thinks older Subarus are the shee-aught ! I'm pretty remote, about 45 miles SE of Tillamook, OR. So I want to get my parts lined up well in advance.

There's a few Fel-Pro gasket sets out there. Does anyone with purchase experience have the part# or kit # that will work best for me? ie., all in one kit. And the source?

The current condition is white smoke out the tailpipe, so I'll be starting with the head gaskets. FelPro Permatorque (in the kit?). I want all new seals and gaskets from there up. Including a new waterpump installed. I also plan on resealing the oil pump. Was this in your kit? Transmission drain plug seal? Distributor o-ring?

From reading previous posts... sounds like I should get the intake gaskets from Subaru directly. And maybe the cam tower o-rings from Subaru? Or has FelPro got the good ones now?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate everyone's knowledge.

By the way, after the motor is back in and running (finger's crossed), I'm giving the car to my son... his birthday is right around the corner. And no... he's not spoiled... believe me, I work the hell out of him! But at least he's learning.

hello everyone,

I'm planning on pulling the motor and doing a complete re-seal on a 1985 GL-10 Wagon, 4wd, 5-spd, Carb. I plan on doing the work during spring break -last week in March - with my 16 year old son who thinks older Subarus are the shee-aught ! I'm pretty remote, about 45 miles SE of Tillamook, OR. So I want to get my parts lined up well in advance.

There's a few Fel-Pro gasket sets out there. Does anyone with purchase experience have the part# or kit # that will work best for me? ie., all in one kit. And the source?

The current condition is white smoke out the tailpipe, so I'll be starting with the head gaskets. FelPro Permatorque (in the kit?). I want all new seals and gaskets from there up. Including a new waterpump installed. I also plan on resealing the oil pump. Was this in your kit? Transmission drain plug seal? Distributor o-ring?

From reading previous posts... sounds like I should get the intake gaskets from Subaru directly. And maybe the cam tower o-rings from Subaru? Or has FelPro got the good ones now?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate everyone's knowledge.

By the way, after the motor is back in and running (finger's crossed), I'm giving the car to my son... his birthday is right around the corner. And no... he's not spoiled... believe me, I work the hell out of him! But at least he's learning.

FelPro permatorques are not included in the set I used, i purchased them separately.

The kit I purchased for the reseal when I did my '88 GL included the oil pump gaskets, oil pan gaskets, water pump gaskets, front rear and cam seals, new water pump seal, and a couple other things. part number was FPCS9390

Felpro also makes a full gasket set (including heads) with a part number of FPHS9392PT2 This includes the valve cover gaskets, as well as a bunch of other stuff (not sure what all it is, but it is substantially more expensive... depends on how gung-ho you want to get)

Exhaust gaskets and o-rings get from Subaru, no exception. Even if they are included in the bigger fel-pro kit use Subaru OEM for both.

I purchased my kit and HG's from partstrain.com

The sets are garbage. The only Fel-Pro Subaru gasket that's worth using is the head gasket itself. For the rest - dealer only. There are some that I source from my import parts supplier up here but the brand is not easy to get your hands on from any of the common parts stores. Online is the best bet.

GD