Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spfi, ea81 starting issue

So i recently acquired GDs lifted 84 wagon ea81 spfi conversion, thing is sweeet! Well yesterday I went to turn off the car and the fuel pump relay buzzed loudly, mind you its in the glove box with the ECU, well I started it again and turned it off, same crazy buzzing soon as you shut It down. Today i was at the hardware store and went to start it up and nothing...just kept cranking, so I called GD and then checked the fusible links etc, found one that Was a little loose and such and fixed it. Well it did it again a few miles down the road when I stoped to get fog lights for my wife's legacy. Check all connections and seemed all good, so I pulled the ignition relay and fuel pump relay and cleaned them up and qdded dilectric grease. Then it started. Thinking I should just replace both relays and see what happens. It also has a bad relay for the kick down. Which is strangebthat it throws a code for that being a manual ecu. Just wanting to get some ideas from people. Gonna diagnose it more tomorrow.

Sadly I doubt anyone will have any useful ideas since the wiring on the thing is totally custom. Needs dielectric grease on all the terminal strips, etc.... possibly a dodgy relay. When it loses power you just have to trace down through the connections from the battery to the igntion and fuel pump relays and you'll probably find a loose or lightly corroded terminal, etc. We should probably recrimp all the ring terminals with my "new" method of removing the plastic insulators and using heat shrink instead. Keeps the ring terminal crimps much happier. That's how I did Aaron's Brat and it's been 100% since the build. He daily drives it.

GD

you'll probably find a loose or lightly corroded terminal

Yes, dont just look at them, remove and disassemble them. Check your battery terminals and condition of the cables/wires clamped to the terminals. I had some strange issues right after install, and it ended up being corrosion hiding under the terminal clamp.

Edited by ihscout54

.......We should probably recrimp all the ring terminals with my "new" method of removing the plastic insulators and using heat shrink instead. Keeps the ring terminal crimps much happier. That's how I did Aaron's Brat and it's been 100% since the build. He daily drives it.

GD

Possibly a, "Electrical Connections 101" post is in order?