Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car is shaking???

So this morning I noticed sitting at a light when idleing my car is at about 900 to 1000 rpms and its normally very smooth at 700. But also my car shakes back and forth like a hot rod lol. When I turn it off it kinda sputters too. Its never done this and just wondering if anyone can tell me why and what I should do to get it back to idleing smooth. Thanks..

So this morning I noticed sitting at a light when idleing my car is at about 900 to 1000 rpms and its normally very smooth at 700. But also my car shakes back and forth like a hot rod lol. When I turn it off it kinda sputters too. Its never done this and just wondering if anyone can tell me why and what I should do to get it back to idleing smooth. Thanks..

Check your timing and make sure your spark plug wires are all connected and functioning properly. You might pull your distributor and check for shaft play too, but I would check timing and plug wires and plugs first. Your spark plugs might give you an indication of what's going on.

Edited by ferox
OP posted more info

Just changed the plugs and connections all good but still idleing kinda rough didnt wanna mess with the timing it doesnt seem to be the issue since it only is rough when idleing not starting or like issues ive had with bad disty n timing in the past

Edited by subinewby

IDK how to check the air/fuel but sometimes since this has been happening my exaust somestimes kinda smells like jet fuel ( when idleing). I think its wierd cus ive never smelled this in any subi ive owned and I do have exaust leeks but its totally different. Does that make sense to anyone else or am I crazy, or it might make sense to be a fuel issue. I usually run 76 mid grade (plus) gasoline.

Edited by subinewby