Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, new to this board, I'm thinking about buying a 2000 - 03 subie, what is the differance between a forester and outback, I know the Outback is larger and that they have the same drivetrain, 1 question is the seating height of the Outback the same as the Forester, also is the ground clearance the same and what is it. been reading alot about HG failure, is that a 1 time fix, I've been looking @ a 2001 Forester S with 115k, for 8k dealer said the mech, checked the TB and it looked ok, no service records, what's your thoughts. Thanks, Jim

The forester is boxier and has more room than the outback.

If the head gasket is done PROPERLY it should never fail again. Emphasis on done properly. When the head gasket fails a second time it means an idiot did it the first time.

You actually pulled a timing cover off to look at the timing belt? Or by TB did you mean something else...

They don't usually look worn until they're really bad. What happens in the timing belt idlers or waterpump fail. There's no way to check these without taking the timing belt off, at which point. Just replace it.

With no service records and 115k I would price the cost of a Full TB Job (belt, tensioner, idlers, cam & crank seals, water pump, reseal oil pump) into the price. If there are no records that it hasn't been done, expect that it wasn't. Of course the dealer mechanic says it looks ok, they don't want to change it. When the belt breaks after you drive the car off the lot they will let you pay for the valve job + all the timing belt stuff.

Go to cars101.com to get the full scoop on the differences between a Forester and an Outback. Outback is a wagon and the Forester is a mini SUV based on the Impreza platform.