Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0763 EJ22 Shift Solenoid Repair Questions

I just bought a '98 legacy wagon (163,000 miles) to complement my '97 legacy wagon. My CEL is throwing a P0763 code, or Shift Solenoid (abbreviated SS) C Electrical, indicating an electrical problem w/ the sensor (generally sensor failure).

Looks like its sitting near the valves; http://www.motobild.com/subaru/1997-subaru-legacy-l-shift-solenoids-duty-solenoids-valve-body-removal-installation.html

It looks like a straightforward procedure as long as I keep track of parts (I was an FSAE kid in college, but I'm kind of a noob on this real car stuff).

A couple of questions:

1) Are there other terms for a SS? Is this similar to a duty solenoid? I called two dealerships down here looking for the part, and no one heard the term "shift solenoid". One guy said that it likely referred to a "Solenoid Pack" or something like that ( sits near valves, $220 ).

2) Diagnosing electrical problems: I imagine it makes sense to test the wiring to the solenoid prior to installing a new one. From research, a multimeter should read 12V between the SS plug & chassis ground; (since im a noob) does the car have to be in the "on" (obviously not running) position to get this reading? Is this a stupid step?

3) Assuming i dont electrical test, how do i know which SS is SS C?

THANKS A TON!

EDIT:

Via more research;

1) Going to ask for service manager at the dealership tomorrow; see if he knows anything abt. shift solenoid

2) Car has to be in "on" position to get 12V reading

EDIT2:

1) Talked to a few people at the shop and no one knew (??); told me to get the part number off the solenoid when i pull it out. Looking to get advance warning of the part # so i can go somewhere cheaper than the dealership.

Edited by beanyo

At oil temp light is flashing. I'll check how many times tomorrow morning (parked far away currently) and update here. If duty c is the same thing, there are plenty of manuals which would be awesome!

Thanks for the link, too. I havent found the solenoid in there yet but i'm still looking around in there. Will post back if/when i find it.

wait,

if the AT Temp light flashes 16 times at start up this menas there was an electrical fault in the trans the last time the car was driven. it could be the duty c but it could also be a shift solenoid or the temp sensor.

you can flash the trans codes and read the trouble code. do a search for ''readtranscodes under dash connector ground*'' and look for the info.

good luck

check grounds grounds grounds they like to ground trouhg the pump bushings and have a main ground on top righthand intake manifold have never seen a bad solinoid in over a 100 trans ever the electroinics are very good and rare to fail i see more broke wire harness had on was broke about an inch from conector on trans is a week point the wires are set in pairs and one wire was work hardened and just barly vissable break when car is not runinng key on you should hear the solinoids buzz when you push the gas peadal indacating there working dont know if thiss helps but be carfull could make a can of worms ps i do have a bunch of theese tranys apart here if you whant me to meshure a solinoid to see what the ohms should be

AT OIL TEMP light stays on for a long time at start, then flashes 16 times. (The car has 163k miles)

EDIT2:

Found info on reading trans codes w/ the last post on this thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/20304-2000-outback-cel-oil-temp-light-constantly-flashes-2.html

Ground out 4 or 5 pin on the diagnostic connector with the ground pins taped to the connector in order to get the TCU codes.

Edited by beanyo
deleting useless info

15 flashes -- Shift solenoid 1....................................Detects open or shorted drive circuit, as well as valve seizure.

OBD code diagnoses it as an electrical, not mechanical issue.

Can someone verify, add to, or deny my next steps?

1) Disconnect and reconnect all plugs in TCU/ECU

2) Check grounds (anyone know where they are for shift solenoid 1 / shift solenoid C? All i can think of to check the ground w/o pulling transmission apart is spraying PB blaster on the thing)

3) Replace shift solenoid C - Does anyone know if the "valve assembly kit" includes the shift solenoid?? I know it includes the Duty C. Otherwise I'll have to tear apart trans & order the part #

Edited by beanyo