Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why am I leaking gear oil?

dual range 4 speed 4WD, sat outside for a couple years without i rear driveshaft in it. When I got it going again, driveshaft was hard to get in, rusty teeth and all. It leaked pretty bad so I replaced the rear oil seal, driveshaft slides right on now, Still leaks.

The oil seal went on nice and easy and sits flush. I was able to press it in with my fingers, didn't need to tap it in at all.

Do I get another seal and try again or is something else going on?

That seal should not go in with only finger pressure. Granted I have not done a subaru one. I have done other vehicles and they require some careful hammering with a wood block in between usually. Typically getting them out is "kind" of hard as well. They usually get destroyed.

over full remember your dipstik is your vent pluged somhow ? stake that rear seal in make sure right way round and all 4 speeds leak a bitt check that detent plugs are tight like to leak there to

Thanks Ivan, but I don't understand your post. Where is the vent, and what do you mean by

" stake that rear seal in make sure right way round"?

That seal should not go in with only finger pressure. Granted I have not done a subaru one. I have done other vehicles and they require some careful hammering with a wood block in between usually. Typically getting them out is "kind" of hard as well. They usually get destroyed.

Yeah old one didn't come out easy, I will get another seal, polish up the drive shaft with emery cloth and see what happens.