Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, need a quick and dry answer. Found a set of heads on CL that I want to buy so I can build a longblock instead of having to use my stock heads and being down for a few days. Problem is, the heads are all over the place as far as configuation.

Here's the configuration:

EJ22 Single Port Bodies

Solid Lash Adjusters

Flat Tappet Rockers

Cams unknown.

I thought there was no such thing as an SLA/flat tappet configuration, and especially that all single port heads were roller rockers. I'd hate to buy these if they're damaged as a result of micx n matching incompatible parts.

:eek:

No clue then. I guess they could have come from an import engine or something. I've seen the inside of every single year of EJ22 on the USDM stuff and I've never seen that config before.

Maybe some strange year of the EJ18? I haven't messed with many of those but I'm told they are virtually indistiguishable from a casting and valve perspective. So much so that head shops can't even tell them apart without marking them. Though the combustion chamber sizes may be slightly different.

GD

I don't see anything that doesn't say they are definitely not roller rockers. I see the SLA and the top of the "tappet" or valve and that it. I don't see how the cam hits the rocker arm so there is no way to really say.

IMG_3506.jpg

The rollers are easily visible on the exhaust rockers.

They really look like roller rockers to me. I think the lighting is just so out of whack we can't see the whole roller on those exhaust rockers.

They're from an engine that was IN a 93? Possible the heads and/or engine were swapped at some point in the past.

have seen a few different configureations of heads now what i can tell you [ do not mixup cams roller cam to roller cam non roler to non roller cam dont run so good if you get it switched i put the newer roller cam train on to the 2.2 turbo heads to get the better valves with roller train first time we just changed the valvetrian and not the cam dident run so happy but did run