Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange leaking from my 1980 Brat

I asked in my restoration thread but received no answers. So I will try again.

Let it be known I am waiting for my Haynes to arrive so my part definitions may be wrong.

I have spent many hours removing and cleaning all of the oil soaked dirt and crud from the undercarriage. I drove her again after being put back together and am thinking the oil leak is near the filter? Where the filter attaches to the block, or even where the feed attaches to the block, is this a place for leaks to occur? It is almost like the galley from the block, through the filter support is where the leak is coming from?

Is this a common occurrence on a EA71? Are there gaskets in any of this? Just over night I had about a 4 inch circle. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

they leak from where the oil pump joins the block has a paper gasket and a small orig yo can make the gasket from a paper gasket materal and a generic oring will do make shure you use a sealer on paper gasket tip if you lossen the front engine block bolts a bitt the pump comes out easier if need parts i have 8 of theese engines all good

Ok, good to know then. That is actually where the pump attaches to the block then. So, all I need to do is loosen the mount and take her off, make a gasket and seal properly, use an O-Ring (what size by chance?) and bada-bing huh?!

Now that I know it is the pump area, how would I know if the pump is bad?

Thanks for the help.

Speaking of parts, hanging on the side of the tranny is a sensor and two red wires. Those wires are sheared off and dangling. What is that sensor? I am thinking a reverse sensor?

reverse or 4wd light hook it up and c what light comes on think the oring is about 15 mm gess is a thin oring if the pump sticks dont force it can brake easy the pump never wheres out just leaks there is anuther oring inbetween the pump halfs could change to theese halfs have to be glued together when done with tiny bitt of grey sillacon