Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to remove Rear Seat and Dash (EA81 Wagon)

How does one remove the rear seat out of an EA81 wagon? I have taken the seat out of my Loyale which was straight forward, but this one, I can not find any bolts for the pivot points.

A picture would help.

Also is there a Exploded view of the bolting points for the Dashboard? I want to make sure I am looking at the right bolts before I start taken them out for no reason.

Cheers and thanks,

-Tom

That bad huh? What is the worst part of removing it? A first gen Legacy and EA82 seems fairly easy, what makes this one harder? :slobber:

IF you can possible leave the dash in.....it is a BITxH times 1million to take out.

Trust me, if you can leave it in, do it.

you just gotta trust the fact. If you value having all your heater controls, and dash vents working and not broken.

If you care less if that stuff ever works again or you like to see broken vents and temp controls that work, then have at it, but you are asking for trouble.

I took one out of a junkyard car that was not cracked, and I HAD to cut the temperature control cables and a couple of the wires and stuff. There was no way to save it without doing so.

You will thank me for this advice, either way.

They simply unbolt I do not remember exactly whats up with the backrest portion but there is a hinge under the front side of the seat. Really simple should take all of 5 minutes. I know because I had a parts car that I wanted to see if I could make that part fit in my hatch..Not gonna happen without getting creative.

If I remember right you have to have it in the right position and slid to the drivers side all the way I believe then pull the passenger side out. Kind of like a tail gate. I believe there are little plastic pieces around the shaft that you have to rotate until they line up as well. Its been a while, I could be wrong. Hope that helps.

as far as the dash goes, I think I have done 4 removals and three installs. It is what I would call a pain in the rump roast, but give yourself a weekend and you can do a remove/replace. One thing that really helps is to do it with the windshield removed. So if you have a cracked windshield, take this as an opportunity to replace it. If you are actually going to do it, give me a shout and I'll scan some diagrams for you and I even have some pics with a dash removed so you can see the mounting points. If i recall correct, there are actully only 5 or 6 mounting points, but lots of other stuff to disconnect.

Yeah, I've heard from a few people who say its easier to do it with the windshield removed. Mine windshield is flawless and the seal doesn't leak as far as I know, so I ain't gonna touch it right now lol.

Its up in the air right now, I may remove it or may not. The reason for removing it is to replace the Fuel lines which run up under the dash and through the Firewall, so its tight :cool:

I would appriciate the documents though! Would help me get an idea at what I'm looking at. I am in no rush to remove and reinstall it anyway, the rest of the car is stripped down and undrivable at the moment.

-Tom

• 1 month later...

The windshield isn't really hard at all I have removed two or three one was already broken one broke on us and we got one good one now residing in our sedan.. The real trick is to have two people doing this and getting the seal to release.. The seal is how we broke the one. Should have used something other than screw drivers.