Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overheating symptoms before I spend money blindly

These symptoms just started. I took one local trip of 7 miles or so. I know this can be one of many things but I have not seen this exact description. I'm hoping it's a thermostat. ('99 Sub Out Leg with DOC 2.5L)

1. Water pump is 4YO, car has 160K

2. Coolant overflow is brownish. Doesn't smell at all really

3. Don't believe coolant has been changed in 4 years (DOH!)

4. Temp gauge does nothing for 5-8 minutes then slowly heats up

5. Heater blows cold air

6. Pulled car over for 5 minutes

7. Restart temps comes down, heater blows hot air

8. Car shut off for 3 hours; symptoms repeat. The car never overheated as I pulled over as it was reaching the first hot line before the H.

Appreciate any thoughts before I spend money . . .

K

And if you open radiator cap after it cools you don't see coolant in the rad?

Classic HG's on a Subaru 2.5.

Depending on how many heat cycles you've done to it it might be worth fixing. If not it's 2.2 time. Because all the JY 2.5's are gonna have the same problem as yours.

And welcome to the USMB!

Classic head gaskets - but also classic of coolant not flowing and/or radiator not holding pressure. Change the thermostat and radiator cap (Dealer only for both) and be sure to use the bleeder plug on the passenger side of the radiator when filling.

Bubbles are not conclusive. Could be a bad radiator cap and low coolant level. Change the two potential failure items and then retest. You will know for sure that way.

If it still does it - time for HG's. You can reuse the thermostat and cap that you invested in.

GD

You have air in your system. This could be benign or could be your head gaskets going which is very common on the DOHC 2.5l.

When it is running and warm do you see bubbles in the overflow tank?

Bubbles in the overflow tank, means exhaust gas is pushing through the head gasket, and entering the cooling system. Sorry to say, that everyone hopes the problem is a bad thermostat, but so often, it is a bad head gasket. If your car has not been badly over heated multiple times, replacing the head gasket will fix the problem.

You can loosen the bleeder bolt at the opposite end of the radiator from the rad cap. Loosing the bolt will allow some of the trapped exhaust gas in the cooling system to escape from the radiator to help against over heating.

sounds like head gaskets to me. my wife's Legacy LSi blew them at 158k, my outback blew them at 117k. sounds like at 160k she has had a good run and needs head gaskets to me. :horse:

although, go with what General Disorder said and give it a shot first, just don't let that sucker overheat much, or else you are looking at a new engine. The bottom end bearings don't do well with overheating on the 2.5's

if you do all the work yourself, you can get the gaskets and seperator plate replacement from a local dealer, or 1stsubaruparts.com, and get all other associated gaskets, thermostat, timing belt and idlers (if you have never replaced them DO SO NOW if you do this work) water pump, valve cover gaskets, machine work for the heads all inclusive for about $500. I just did the math yesterday

rockauto.jpg

Edited by Ricearu

Did nobody see this? If the coolant is brownish then it either had the orange antifreeze added to it or something is leaking into it.
that can be helpful but by this age there's quite a wide variance in underhood condition. some are still nearly new looking under the hood, but others look grungy and filthy underneath. the color of the coolant in the overflow tank is telling sometimes but overall is subjective for a variety of reasons.

I just started it up, ran it for 2 minutes and three bubbles came up one after the other through the overflow :(

Sorry to say, but I think you know the bubbles in the overflow tank is a bad sign. When my 2.5 blew a head gasket, and then my wife drove on to really cook the engine, I had a stream of bubbles in my over flow tank. It looked just like an aquarium aerator hose.