Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As I was going around a corner I saw my lug fly off to the left so I pulled over when I got out of the corner and I see how it snapped still a bit of thread left but it's still gone.

From what I hear you can't remove the stud before the ABS tone ring is in the way? As far as removing it does heat work?

The ring is held on with allen screws either 5 or 8mm, not sure which. Remove and let the ring hang down before you bang the stud out.

Lessens the chance of the stud flying and breaking the tone ring. (ask me how I know!)

O.

There is no other way to get it out. I guess you could have it pressed out but that is 10x the work. I removed the caliper and positioned the stud so it would pop out the backside and drove the new one in. To make sure it is completely seated flip your lug nut over so the flat surface hits the rotor and tighten until its out as far as the rest. Double check after 50 miles or so.

Banging on the stud is a good way to damage the wheel bearing. I removed mine with a gear puller after drilling a shallow hole in the end of the stud to locate the puller. To install the new one I just mounted the wheel and used the lug nut to pull it in - no impact, much kinder to the bearing.

I wouldn't hammer on a wheel stuf. For the same reason I won't use a slide hammer installing axles. It will ruin the wheel bearings. I use a propeller puller to get the studs out.

If you break the ABS tone ring (which I did replacing brakes once, long story...) you can cut a new one in half very carefully then install it. It works. You don't have to take the bearing apart, makes life happy.

I'm just going to get that tool that braces behind the hub and has the bolt that pushes on the stud I forgot the name of the tool but yeah I'm going to do that.

*edit

wait can't I use a C-clamp?

Edited by 1-3-2-4

I'm just going to get that tool that braces behind the hub and has the bolt that pushes on the stud I forgot the name of the tool but yeah I'm going to do that.

*edit

wait can't I use a C-clamp?

If it'll take the force... but it sometimes takes a lot of force.

You could borrow a ball-joint or other press from autozone/advance/pep boys.