Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 valve component service life?

Ive got a full ea81 rebuild in the near future.

Mike (lyter1983) was nice enough to sell me a good core to start with. A good hydro long block that I intend to tear down. It should be in the mail this week. The motor is said to have about 180k miles.

The motor will be torn all the way down for rod and main bearings, heads will receive a full port and polish, valves get a nice 5 angle cut, and I intend to have the heads shaved .020 to bump the compression a bit.

Obviously it will get a fresh set of rings, and a full Fel-pro gasket set will be thrown at it. Should be fun :banana:

My final intention is to build a good solid runner, that I dont have to fiddle with for 150k+ So replacing EVERYTHING is my intention.

Ive rebuilt my share of motors, but being fairly new to the Subaru scene, this will be my first subaru rebuild.

But when it comes to things like valves. guides, valve springs, and keepers, is it best to just replace them all?

I know that with many motors, things like valve springs simply do not wear out. And Ive heard the the EA81 is pretty easy on guides.

I just dont want to be replacing things for no reason. :)

Thanks for any help :drunk:

dont mes with heads its hard to change giudes and have them stay in place just sevice valves and leave rest alone upgrade the rods to ea82 rod and berrings as they are stronger and wider berrings i whould put in ea82 pistons or ej2.0 pistons as the ea81 pistons were prone to breaking between rings check the lifters make shure bottoms are not hammerd have seen valve trains go 400000kms no problem oh and it helps to hili coil the head bolts that hold the valve train on