Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 heater control backlighting

I replaced a heater control unit backlight (1 of 3). I got the Radio Shack equivalent some people recommended and put it in there. I haven't reassembled the dash yet. I just plugged the unit back in and tried it. Now I have no backlighting at all in the unit. The fan still turns on. Did I damage the heater control unit prying it open to remove and replace the bulb?

I'll try the following in the morning:

I didn't plug the the hazard light switch back in yet, which appears to cause the turn signals to not work. Same circuit?

I didn't check the fuses yet.

I'm having one of those "what the h*$# did I do?" moments. I won't sleep.

1995 Legacy Wagon

I give up. I checked fuses, reassembled everything, and no heater control backlighting. I must have damaged it.

I have to say, this job sucks - trying to replace a tiny little bulb by prying the heater control unit open less than a half inch to access it. I wish it came apart more completely so I was not working is such a tight space. I was using tweezers and a magnifying glass and flashlight. I hate this kind of work. I wish I'd never attempted it.

The bulbs are not Subaru specific, you can get them at Radioshack.

I didn't like the RS bulbs. Enough that I went to the dealer and got the 3 correct bulbs for under 20 bucks.

I gave the RS bulbs to another member.

With the OEM bulbs, and disconnecting the cable in the pass footwell it wasn't a bad job and I'm definately NOT an electrical guy.

They're all the same, minus the colored condom. The bulbs have been used for years. I've changed bulbs in my 95 Outback all the way to my 05 STi and they're still the same bulb. If I spent $20 bucks on bulbs that small, I would want someone to kick me in the face.

$1.99 for a pack of two.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780

For those of you willing to mess with the non-OEM bulbs, you can buy 25 of these for $9.99 plus shipping at Digikey, part number CM7219-ND (I have not tried them myself, but all the information matches Radio Shack's)

RS' bulb specs:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_supplies/doc15/15682.htm

Digikey's bulb specs:

http://www.chml.com/products/pdf/2-33.pdf

When you're older and less arrogant and less electrically inclined and don't wanna mess with how the wires pass through the base you'll understand.

And mine the old rubbers wouldn't come off of.

But good for you!!

My experience as well. Think the bulbs were less than $3 each and I only needed two. Just added them to an order for other stuff.

If you are able to replace the bulbs with the RS ones that's great!

For those of use that want to take the easy way out, that's our choice.

I guess I'm too old and don't give a $#!? at all because I just keep a little flashlight in the console to see what button I need to press or what time it is since the radio doesn't light up either!

:-p

That will be me once the light in the clock goes out!

One of my switch-bulbs went dark a few months ago.

So I bought a couple of Radio Shack replacements, and put the package in the glove box for the journey home.

My car was so freaked-out at the thought of a non-OEM transplant, that the offending light promptly came back on, and has been trouble-free ever since.

Best $1.99 that I ever spent.