Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Folks,

I used this forum as a reference to complete an engine swap...wanted to say thanks and contribute back:

My 99 Legacy has the EJ25D DOHC 2.5 and has about 165k. One of the timing belt idler pulleys appears to have shelled out and the timing belt slipped as a result. The engine immediately quit...the RH intake pulley shattered and destroyed the surrounding timing cover. I don't know exactly what the internal condition is, but it can't be good.

I bought a '98 Forester longblock from dlbgirl on eBay. This engine has about 120k and has been reconditioned with new timing belt and components, new water pump, new head gaskets, new head bolts, new valve stem seals, and the cylinder heads received complete valve jobs, have been hot tanked, pressure tested, and resurfaced.

This was the first engine swap I've tried, and it was really easy. The 98' bellhousing is slighly different than the '99. Instead of 8 bolts and two dowel pins between the engine and the transfer case, I now have 4 bolts and two dowel pins. I did have to move a dowel pin from the old block to the "new" one. This was easily accomplished using pentrating oil, and using a c-clamp, a socket, and a bolt to push the pin out.

After getting everything re-installed, it started right up and sounds great. Now what to do with the old block...

-Jeff