Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 - Charge Light "ON" with key OFF ?

1981 GL Wagon 4wd

I've had charging problems, and I'm headed back to the car tonight to try and

replacing the alternator and/or external voltage regulator before driving home.

BUT - the dash Charge Light was illuminated after I turned OFF the ignition key, and I wondered if anyone has seen that issue before.

thanks much in advance,

gadberry

The light is supposed to be on when the voltage potential is higher at the battery or the alternator - which it always is when the engine isn't running. GD

I have to disagree with that GD. If the warning lamp stayed on while the ignition was OFF then it would slowly drain the battery more than normal. Either the alternator or voltage regulator has a problem. Most likely a leaky diode is causing the trouble. Here is a link to refer to. There is a basic diagram on page 2 to refer to if you want.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130805&page=2

Edited by Cougar

Yes the engine wasn't running and the key is removed from the ignition

But the charge light was still "on."

Some relay (vacuum driven?) that's mounted on the drivers side

Shock tower was also clicking continuously..

So I unhooked the battery... Which had already been drained

From driving with lights on until I had no exterior lighting or dash

Lights. So it was pretty dead....

I'm charging it now and will replace the alternator in the morning.

VR is located at local parts store if needed. Neither device has

Been properly checked yet. Will do in the morning

Thx! Ideas?

Gadberry

UPDATE: I returned to the car (3hrs away) last night and placed the battery on a charger for an overnight charge.

Installed a new reman'd (Malaysian sourced) alternator this morning and

it just looked 'better built' than the 'made in Mexico' alternator I was replacing (<2yrs old). I reconnected the battery after the newly rebuilt

alternator was installed, and all was right with the world.. 14.2 charge indicated on dash, 13.25 volts at battery terminals with car running at idle and no charge lights or even a flicker.. oil pressure gauge reading as normal too.

** Note: I reviewed the '2 prong' plug on the back of the alternator and the female plug that inserts into the alternator wasn't a very tight fit so slightly adjusted the connector so it clamped tighter; hit it with some electrical contact cleaner too. This connection felt pretty loose and after reading input from you kind folks, i wondered if that loose connection wasn't the source of my problems.

* I speculate that the 2 prong connection may have wiggled loose and slightly shorted; thus triggering the Voltage regulator to draw more from the OLD alternator which resulted in a diode or two failing before complete charging failure... is that how it would happen?

I also removed all keys from my heavy key chain except for the ignition key, just as a precaution... i'll wiggle it later to see if it's shorting out too.. it may be,

but i wanted to get home today... the wife wouldn't have been happy about another road side failure.. ha!

anyways, I drove home (3hrs) in 80 degree weather with windows down and a song in my head... happy has hell to be driving my antique Subaru!

thanks to all; i will confirm that the old alternator was/is bad and post back.

cheers

gadberry

Edited by gadberry