Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea-82, coolant in head.. etched wall, any effect?

EA-82, been sitting for awhile with bad head gasket (s), not mine and not a mechanic.

noted the heads which sat with coolant in them has a bit of an etched surface where it pooled in bottom of head...

The guy I am doing this for (old mechanic) said to polish with fine grit and put it back together... so I did. Heads machined. New Felpro gaskets and his car so his call.

what is the past experience with this... anyone?

Possibly I could have used a cylinder hone on it?

This is more of a country rig... so his concern factor is low about any effect I guess but I wanted your input as I always learn from doing and curious what others would do, done with this issue.

Edited by Indrid cold

I have 2 vehicles both running just fine with coolant stains in the cylinder walls - my 87 GL(EA82) & my 65 chevy p/u(sbc 350). I was told by my auto machinist that the etching effect of coolant is OK as long as there is no pitting.

He told me that even after reboring cast iron blocks stains can still be seen. What matters is the piston to cylinder wall clearance & if high mileage that the piston skirts haven't collapsed. Scuffing up the stain with scotchbrite is OK - honing just to remove the stain is unnecessary. Always put a shop rag on top of piston before cleaning the bore.

Have a great day!