Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question regarding Impreza Outback

To start, sorry if this is the wrong section. I didn't see a general help thread and this was the closest topic.

I currently own a '95 impreza. She's a good little car but it's an automatic and doesn't have much life left. So, i've recently been looking around for a newer impreza that's a stick. The only one for sale right now that's near enough to me is a '98 impreza outback. From what I found on google, the impreza outback is basically an impreza geared more toward offroad, is this correct? If so, would it be worth buying to me anyway? The price is good and it looks like it was taken care of. I just want to know if it will still be a good kind of starting car for putting parts on and racing around town or if the fact that it's an impreza outback will essentially make it useless on the street.

Think or it more as a decal package, a little groud clearance, slightly larger tires and thus slightly different gearing.

No need to be converned at all. Infact it's preferred over a standard model and priced accordingly.

Just check it out like any other car or Subaru.

Most parts are the standard model equivalent like engine, wheel bearings, interior, most body parts (perhaps all body parts on an IMpreza outback - on a Legacy outback the buper cover and grille are different), the hood has a scoop, etc.

Yeah its just a different trim package. The mechanicals are the same. I am pretty sure the Impreza Outback does not even actually have a lift over the regular Impreza unlike the Legacy vs Legacy Outback.

Be aware that moving from a 95 to a 98 you will be moving to an interference engine so you will want to make sure your timing belt is taken care of.

DSC_3607_Small.jpg

Definitely a capable machine. From driving mine in stock trim vs an L in stock trim I could tell that the suspension is stiffer, larger tires, and aesthetic differences; hood, 2 tone paint, bumper cover, roof racks, etc.

However all GC/GM/GF cars use pretty much the same parts, and as such a lot of the newer (GD) parts also swap over. I have STI springs from a 2004 installed, and am in the process of building a "frankenmotor" from about 4 different engines; using the block from a 98 Legacy 2.5

Short story: Better starting platform than a Brighton or L IMO. Not quite an RS.

So what i'm understanding is that it's essentially no different than an impreza wagon? It'll do just fine on street and if it's in good condition and the price is right I should go for it?

EDIT: The listing on Craigslist says he just replaced the timing belts and pulleys, so it's good there. Also says it has new brakes and it doesn't say anything is wrong with it, if there was anything big enough to worry about it's usually listed.

Edited by Burma95

Just because Subaru projects the image of the Outback as an off-road vehicle, that doesn't mean it really is. Outback has a smidge higher ground clearance but is essentially the same as the other models of the Impreza. You can get a ton of information about the differences between models, years, and trim from a dealer (Joe Spitz) here in Washington state: http://www.cars101.com/ Just check out the year of the Outback you are looking at and compare the specs with the other Imprezas for that year.

Archive for the older models a bit hard to find (if you're as computer challenged as I am); here's the link: http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive97_98.html#1998 Impreza

Edited by edrach
update