Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding A/C to 86 BRAT

Anyone know where I can get an entire kit of stuff I'll need to add A/C to my 1986 BRAT which has never had A/C before? I'm not gonna be able to put it in, but I want to make sure I buy everything for the guy/gal who might do it. In the alternative, where can I get everything I need? Any advise is appreciated.

Scott

Pulling all the stuff from a donor car would be best IMO. Look on your heater control and see if it says "Car is equipped installation of optional AC" or something like that. This will be a huge plus as most of the wiring should already be there.

post-32375-136027654303_thumb.jpg

Here is a short list of what you'll need off the top of my head.

Condenser in front of the radiator

Correct combination of brackets for alternator and AC compressor (including compressor)

Hard and soft lines/hoses

Receiver dryer unit with mounting hardware

Relays that mount on the passenger side strut tower

Extra radiator fan for the drivers side

Evaporator core complete with the case that it fits in

Hope that the wiring for all of this is already installed in your car or you'll need that too

Perhaps more but that's all I can think of off hand. It will be almost impossible IMO to do this without pulling the dash assembly completely out of the car. Might as well do the heater core at the same time.

Good Luck!

Edited by Crazyeights
added picture of heater control panel

• 4 months later...

Well, I found a car with AC that I could use as a donor. With the help of Terry, I got it out and installed. The compressor was shot so I need to get a new one. The issue I have is that I pulled the AC from an 83 and installed into an 86. Apparently, on the 86 there are two versions and I don't understand the difference between them. So, I bought one off eBay and we'll see if I made the right choice. I do need various O rings. Anyone know a place where I can get these..... or perhaps other options? Once I have all this, I'll be able to load it up with Freon... and try to stay cool in this hotter than hell place where I reside. Getting excited that this project might be coming to an end.

Thanks for the help I received.

Yeah, Shawn. He helps me with most of my mechanical stuff. I'm pretty much a mechanical moron.

The compressor came and it doesn't look right to me. UUUUgh. I have to find someone a little smarter than me to see if it's workable. Annoying.

Thanks for the thoughts and advise, folks.

Snap a picture of it we can tell if its original/correct. I have a few lying around that might be right.

I'm pretty sure it's not correct. Just so you know, we pulled the AC stuff out of an '83 but as mentioned mine's an 86. All i need it the compressor and the o-rings then a charge and hopefully we'll be 'summer cool'. Any assistance is appreciated.

Scott

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Could that be an A/C compressor to an EA82?

I bet their parts system for an 86 shows your BRAT as getting an EA82, this is false and a common problem with parts places. Best bet is to order stuff for an 84 as it will show getting the correct EA81 engine.

Could that be an A/C compressor to an EA82?

I bet their parts system for an 86 shows your BRAT as getting an EA82, this is false and a common problem with parts places. Best bet is to order stuff for an 84 as it will show getting the correct EA81 engine.

82-87 should work but to be on the safe side 82-84

• 2 years later...