Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i finally found what I was looking for: a 2009 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5i manual.

And for $12,500 it looked like a good deal. The only trouble is I took it for a test drive and it seemed to lack power compared to an 09 Impreza Sport 2.5i I had driven the week before.

The Toyota dealer that is selling it said they had to clear codes P0026, P0028, & P0303. It looks like 0026 & 0028 are signs it was run with little or no oil. 0303 is cylinder #3 misfire.

Do these codes along with the seeming lack of power start to tell a story? Is it possible I'd be buying a lemon that would need major engine work (piston rings, valve seals, bearings, etc)? Am I just being paranoid?

I'd hate to pass it up, but sure don't want to be shelling out another grand in a month... Thanks!

I don't disagree with the previous post in principal; however, another option is to take the car to independent shop and have a proper test/diagnosis done. If something is found or is in a weakened condition, you might have huge bargaining chip. For four thousand or less (I know others will say hundreds less, but those contain variables to) you could budget an engine replacement and still have a very good deal perhaps... My coworker just got a low mileage '09 Forester (I drool thinking about it) and paid 19K.

Thanks all for your input. Say I have them do a compression test and all the numbers look good. Is that enough to confidently say it wasn't run dry? Is there anything else that should be tested?

These codes wouldn't pop up after doing a routine oil change, right?

Is it common to have a misfire code, and what might be the cause?

Thanks again; I really appreciate the help here.

I don't believe in "extended warranties," but maybe in this situation, an extended warranty would be a good idea. Work a decent deal, and have the dealer pay for a warranty, or you pay for the warranty out of pocket, but only if you get a good deal.

I would opt for a 2 year warranty, and say 50K driving miles if an extended warranty is sold that way. This would take the worry out of buying a car with a questionable motor. Something to think about!!

I would opt for a 2 year warranty, and say 50K driving miles if an extended warranty is sold that way. This would take the worry out of buying a car with a questionable motor. Something to think about!!

That's a great idea to protect yourself for the future, but what about the existing power issue?

And for $12,500 it looked like a good deal. The only trouble is I took it for a test drive and it seemed to lack power compared to an 09 Impreza Sport 2.5i I had driven the week before.

http://engine-codes.com/p0026_subaru.html

http://engine-codes.com/p0028_subaru.html

along with the cylinder 3 misfire, I would say that it was ran out of oil and traded in before it died :-\

10 bucks says the dealer knows what happened and what is wrong.

I wouldn't buy it. Go buy a used one from a subaru dealership with extended warranty. :burnout:

The AVCS codes, P0026 and P0028 indicate it was run low on oil enough to trigger these codes. I work for an independent Subaru shop and so I get to see what happens when people run their Subarus low on oil enough. Did a new shortblock in a 2004 Forester 3 years after we did one because he decided to change his oil every 5k miles, instead of every 3k. Even though the dealer says you can do it every 5k, you have to remember that even a quart low on a 4.5 quart system can eventually wreck havoc on the internals.

Run low on oil and signs of it, walk away unless they want to put a warranty on it. Oh and even though aftermarket warranties can be good, they can also bring a lot of headaches as far as where you can take it to and what THEY will pay to replace.

But that's just my $0.02