Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer charge for head gaskets

So my workmate has a 2005 forester

Threw a code and was stalling at stops....P0506...he takes to dealer...his receipt says "throttle position sensor--remove throttle body to clean out chamber and reinstall

So he had it done and was $207.00

Do you think they really took it off?

Second thing

WHile in there...they tell him he has a head gasket oil drip on one side (he was noticing spots on his driveway) and weeping on other side

I was so disappointed to hear of a 2005 with this issue...jeez...I thought this crap was worked out

So here is the best part

Head gasket quote (both sides), reseal w pump, replace cam seals estimate $1650 (if heads need machining add $200...if needs timing belt add 200--he had t belt done at like 100k)

NOTHING IS mentioned about water pump OR timing belt pulleys---NOTHING!!!! and it's at 150k with the originals

How ridiculous

I understand that they don't want to scare customers away to shop for a better price should they add the exorbitant cost of their additional parts but....!

I am getting a quote from Walkers Renton (is the 1st Subaru? I forget) for pulleys and w pump and T belt and let him go in and ask why they did not include these.....and is this what they would do for their brother or mother??? idiots!!!

I may even tell him to get the pulley kit from ebay (the import experts) and tell them to use these----b ut they would probably squawk at non subaru parts

Before you go and say head gaskets, it could be valve cover gaskets leaking oil down the head.

Considering it's a dealer, that's really not a horrible price. I've heard of a lot steeper dealer prices on head gaskets.

If it has 150k miles on the original timing belt, CHANGE IT NOW! If it breaks, you bend valves. And it'll be a head gasket job PLUS valve work. It won't be cheap.

Don't bring your own parts to any shop and expect them to install them. When I worked at a shop someone did this to me... I told them to go ************ themselves and not come back.

Before you go and say head gaskets, it could be valve cover gaskets leaking oil down the head.

Considering it's a dealer, that's really not a horrible price. I've heard of a lot steeper dealer prices on head gaskets.

If it has 150k miles on the original timing belt, CHANGE IT NOW! If it breaks, you bend valves. And it'll be a head gasket job PLUS valve work. It won't be cheap.

Don't bring your own parts to any shop and expect them to install them. When I worked at a shop someone did this to me... I told them to go ************ themselves and not come back.

no its not the original T belt...that was done at 100k as mentioned

well...I figured the idea to bring your own parts would not fly...but he IS going to be armed with better dealer parts pricing...

I understand your sentiments...that was your livelihood....you are speaking from a whole different angle than a customer.....but I don't like getting gouged...so I could care less how the mechanic feels about it

ALWAYS a new timing belt since you've got it off.

Best to do everything else that touches the belt as you're planning. And new spark plugs then you're done again for a LONG time.

I roughly figure 1k for a good HG job with OEM gaskets and seals, New timing and accessory belts, theimportexperts idler kit, WP, oil pump Oring, having heads checked and cleaned.

Edit/Add: May need to add 100 bucks because that's a high dollar tensioner that has gone 150k that doesn' tcome in most idler kits standard.

well...I figured the idea to bring your own parts would not fly...but he IS going to be armed with better dealer parts pricing...

I understand your sentiments...that was your livelihood....you are speaking from a whole different angle than a customer.....but I don't like getting gouged...so I could care less how the mechanic feels about it

The problem is the mechanic who couldn't care less about you... Don't piss off the person fixing your car.

I'd be surprised if the shop would even install customer supplied parts. Say the customer gets crappy parts somewhere. The mechanic installs the part and it fails. Who's fault is it? It's a mess.

I guarantee it will piss the mechanic off bringing your own parts.

The problem is the mechanic who couldn't care less about you... Don't piss off the person fixing your car.

I'd be surprised if the shop would even install customer supplied parts. Say the customer gets crappy parts somewhere. The mechanic installs the part and it fails. Who's fault is it? It's a mess.

I guarantee it will piss the mechanic off bringing your own parts.

I totally understand your point.

It just irks me the mark-up on parts

Doing that exact job today headgaskets in a 04 impreza 2.5 uses two half gasket sets. Timing belt water pump coged idler pully plugs fliuds. Customer bought own parts cost 800$ my labour is 12 hours + 150 plane heads my bill is around 1200-1500 depending on extras. Two day turnaround time started 9yesterday done 12 today. I cant figure out why the dealer dosent change the water pump or idlers its just silly not to.The last 3 cars i did heads on all 04 's all 156000-160000 kms the head gaskets seem particulary bad on thiss year

Last Ej25D I did as $1401.30 and thats about the most expensive engine to do the gaskets and timing components on.

I won't install customer supplied parts without it being a friend or family member. Like said above, who is responsible when the part I didn't supply fails. Not cool.

Its much easier to do business without attorneys involved.