Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alternator/charging questions - new update 4/16

bosango - thanks for adding your two cents in, it may help others down the road.

At this point, I have not had any issues with starter engagement, it cranks over everytime just fine. but i will keep that info in the back of the mind simply because it was mentioned at one of the many charging system checks that the starter seemed a little "weak" according to their equipment, and I do have a lower mileage unit here.

right now, I am waiting for the call from the local alternator shop that my rebuild is ready - should be later this week, unless they ran into issues getting parts for it.

as for the piece of crap, mass produced unit that was giving me all the fits - anyone know how to cook it to the point that it will test bad (without burning the house/garage down LOL)??? would still like to get it replaced under warranty - just because & so I have a backup unit on the shelf ready to go in an emergency.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bosango - thanks for adding your two cents in, it may help others down the road.

At this point, I have not had any issues with starter engagement, it cranks over everytime just fine. but i will keep that info in the back of the mind simply because it was mentioned at one of the many charging system checks that the starter seemed a little "weak" according to their equipment, and I do have a lower mileage unit here.

right now, I am waiting for the call from the local alternator shop that my rebuild is ready - should be later this week, unless they ran into issues getting parts for it.

as for the piece of crap, mass produced unit that was giving me all the fits - anyone know how to cook it to the point that it will test bad (without burning the house/garage down LOL)??? would still like to get it replaced under warranty - just because & so I have a backup unit on the shelf ready to go in an emergency.

Just take it back and DEMAND they replace it, whether it "tests" bad or not. If it doesn't work in my car, I don't care what your stupid tester says, REPLACE IT! That's the stand I would take with them if it was me!

Good luck!

Just take it back and DEMAND they replace it, whether it "tests" bad or not. If it doesn't work in my car, I don't care what your stupid tester says, REPLACE IT! That's the stand I would take with them if it was me!

Good luck!

Wish it was that simple - been down this road before - I can "demand" all I want, it isnt going to happen unless the stupid thing tests bad on their equipment, which it wont do because it is heat related failure at this point, and I cannot afford to keep running it until it does fail completely (both my sanity and my wallet would suffer way too much - sanity from the constant light shows & stress, wallet in the form of a new battery and possibly a tow if the stupid thing fails completely leaving me stranded with a dead battery)

about ready to open it up and start clipping wires internally... :Flame:

How about cut the end off of a light cord, plug it into the wall and stick the other end into the plug on the alternator. :D

Oh wait... something that WON'T burn the garage down... :Flame:

How about cut the end off of a light cord, plug it into the wall and stick the other end into the plug on the alternator. :D

Oh wait... something that WON'T burn the garage down... :Flame:

ROFL - that thought had already crossed the mind, and decided against - for now... :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

just to wrap this thread up...

got my freshly rebuilt alternator installed thursday morning. Work done at a local Alternator & starter repair shop that has a good reputation for quality work. Yes, it cost me a little more, but should be well worth it.

no more light shows in the dash, no more crazy warm idle, no more dropping voltage at idle...everything appears to be operating as it should be - finally!

I am a happy camper right now. :D now if i can just get the exhaust leak taken care of, i can like my subaru again! :o

lesson learned: dont bother with the "cheap" so called life-time warranty alternators from the parts houses - not worth the hassle when you cant get the stupid thing replaced because it fails intermittently, and never when you are at the parts store to get it checked!