Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 questions... 86 GL

First question, what is this line that comes off the manifold and towards the passenger rear of the engine bay?

weirdline.jpg

Also... pulled into the driveway and noticed white smoke from exhaust... but I jumped out and smelled it... didnt smell sweet like coolant (I do have a DS head gasket leak... leaks oil externally) and after a few revs the smoke diminished and didnt pour anymore... smelled like fuel/exhaust (duh but thats whats confusing).

Engine was fully warmed (good 50-60 miles traveled) and so it wasnt like it was cold... Car is an 86 GL w/ Weber carb

I hate that little hose, I some how pop it loose everytime I do something on that side of the engine, then for 2 days I can't figure out why my car idles rough Lol..

But yes, HVAC.

I usually figure it out after my HVAC buttons stop working. ... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have done that a few times too. This is what I did to help prevent that: I moved the hose to the vac port next to the PCV valve, and ran the hose straight back along the pitching stopper, then followed the brake line over to the HVAC canister. Keeps it out of the way and far less likely to get knocked off while working in the engine bay. :)

The white smoke could be oil getting sucked in through the PCV system during a long sweeping turn. If it didn't smell like burning coolant, then, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Worst case, maybe Ned is begining to suffer from EJ envy. I've got one Suby suffering from it. :lol:

The white smoke could be oil getting sucked in through the PCV system during a long sweeping turn. If it didn't smell like burning coolant, then, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Worst case, maybe Ned is begining to suffer from EJ envy. I've got one Suby suffering from it. :lol:

Makes sense. I didnt mention that the DS PCV hose on the valve cover looked a little wet... that whole valve cover could be leaking oil too.

Oh he is... but theres got to be some big $$$ before that happens. I wanna do my EJ22T, AWD 5/6 speed swap and LSD all at once... And I figure between wiring costs (since Ill want it to look stock as possible) Im gonna be in at least 2K for labor, plus the EJ22T, plus the 5/6 speed, LSD rear etc... Hes gonna have to hold out a bit haha. I have another EA82 I just have to rebuild it so I can drop it in.

Makes sense. I didnt mention that the DS PCV hose on the valve cover looked a little wet... that whole valve cover could be leaking oil too.

Oh he is... but theres got to be some big $$$ before that happens. I wanna do my EJ22T, AWD 5/6 speed swap and LSD all at once... And I figure between wiring costs (since Ill want it to look stock as possible) Im gonna be in at least 2K for labor, plus the EJ22T, plus the 5/6 speed, LSD rear etc... Hes gonna have to hold out a bit haha. I have another EA82 I just have to rebuild it so I can drop it in.

Or swap in an ea81 :)

It's a tad underpowered, but aside from changing the oil you don't really have to do anything else to it. Thing just runs and runs. Mine is great. Been wanting to EJ swap since I got it three years ago, but I can't bring myself to pulling out an engine that works perfectly.

So are you going to actually pay me for the car and *then* blow it up... or is it going to reside out in the country and rust away?

You haven't responded to my PM on this matter.....

You have had the car for basically a year or more now. And have owed me a paltry sum on it for that entire time. Don't you think it's time to settle up on the car itself and stop buying upgrades for it or video games or whatever it is you buy?

I've been more than reasonable for as long as I care to be. You need to man up and pay your debt or stop driving it.

GD