Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are there different styles of Input Shaft Bearings on 5mt's?

Okay so on my 86 GL EA82 5MT it seems to have this plate holding the input bearing in and all the take aparts of 5mt's I find have no plate on the input shaft. Instead where the plate, is instead it seems the case simply does what the plate did. So how I got my tranny is it looks like someone tried to take it off and I can't get it to seat again.

WP_000287.jpg

WP_000286.jpg

Edited by chaseman

That's a standard dual-range front input shaft bearing setup. They all look like that.

Someone probably tried to get at the front input shaft seal - but you can't get to it from there. The plate does have bolts on the outside but there is no way to remove it without splitting the case and taking out the snap ring that holds the input shaft bearing into that front bearing holder/quill plate.

GD

oh okay thanks , i musta been lookin at single range or ej ones. That makes sense having to spilt the case. Also i don't want to take the shaft out , i wanna get it back in. The plate stops about a quarter inch from seating against the case. Does it need pressed or tapped in? Or do i need to man up and split the case?

They probably tried pulling it for a reason, that probably being the input shaft seal leaking. It's not hard to split the case as long as you keep track of how everything lines up so you can get it back together. The hardest part is getting the shift yoke off the shifter shaft depending on how rusted it is.

oh okay thanks , i musta been lookin at single range or ej ones. That makes sense having to spilt the case. Also i don't want to take the shaft out , i wanna get it back in. The plate stops about a quarter inch from seating against the case. Does it need pressed or tapped in? Or do i need to man up and split the case?

Yeah, the single range EA and EJ cases don't have that.

Don't just hammer or press. The D/R mechanism has expanded, and likely the oiler plate (sheet metal shim) for the D/R gears has probably come out of place too.

I made a thread about replacing the front bearing and seal of a S/R case. Search for that, and it'll give you a good idea of what's going on in there. I also have a thread about a 4.11 D/R AWD.......in the end it only kinda worked....but lots of good pics in there too.

Just remember....don't disassemble the whole tailsection. Remove the shifter knuckle, disconnect the D/R lever from the front of the case. Pull the inspection plate on top, and using a 1/4 drive, 10mm socket + ratchet and a skinny extension to remove the reverse lockout bolt. rotate the shift rod CC then remove the whole tailsection as one piece.

well , got the case apart and here are the results

WP_000301.jpg

WP_000297.jpg

WP_000300.jpg

WP_000298.jpg

and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the say the broken stuff is my D/R gear set.

what now?

Well Actually I guess next to remove the snap ring on the input shaft so I can get deeper. Just gotta go get those fancy pliers

Edited by chaseman