Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone taken a good EJ22 and used EJ22T turbo and other components off the EJ22T without many problem? Is it even possible? I have a EJ22T with #4 cylinder dead but I have a EJ22 that we took out of my sons car that is in great shape. Just wondering if its even possible before I tear into the EJ22T. Thanks fella's.....

Try and keep all your questions in your original 94 turbo thread rather than starting new threads for each question.

It's worth it to fix the EJ22t, it's a much stronger block, has oil squirters for the pistons, and I think the valves are different vs the non turbo.

Pull the head that has no compression (you can do it with the engine in the car if you have to) and see if it's a burned exhaust valve. A new valve and fuel injector should fix it if that's the cause.

The only thing worth beans in the EJ22T is the BLOCK ITSELF. The rest is crap. The heads have smaller (but sodium filled) valves than the EJ22E, the piston oil squirters are not neccesary and often fall out and end up in the oil pan, and the pistons are nothing special - just lower compression than the 22E.

If you put the 22T pistons inside the 22E case then you could easily use all the turbo components. At 165 HP the open deck design of the 22E isn't a problem. It's not really a problem till you hit about 300 HP actually.

The 22E pistons are too high of a compression ratio to safely run the stock EJ22T boost pressure of 8.5 psi. Max boost on a high-comp. 22E is about 4 or 5 psi and they aren't that reliable even kept that low. But they will make a ton of power while they last - somewhere around 200 HP.

GD

The only thing worth beans in the EJ22T is the BLOCK ITSELF. The rest is crap. The heads have smaller (but sodium filled) valves than the EJ22E, the piston oil squirters are not neccesary and often fall out and end up in the oil pan, and the pistons are nothing special - just lower compression than the 22E.

If you put the 22T pistons inside the 22E case then you could easily use all the turbo components. At 165 HP the open deck design of the 22E isn't a problem. It's not really a problem till you hit about 300 HP actually.

The 22E pistons are too high of a compression ratio to safely run the stock EJ22T boost pressure of 8.5 psi. Max boost on a high-comp. 22E is about 4 or 5 psi and they aren't that reliable even kept that low. But they will make a ton of power while they last - somewhere around 200 HP.

GD

Ok thanks fella's. Sorry about creating a new thread, I'll keep it to one next time. Sounds easier to just fix the ej22t as Im not sure my capabilites of doing a complete block split are adequate. Not scared to do it but might get in over my head....pete