Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yeah, just trying to learn about clockspring, never heard of it before looking into this problem, cruise does not work as well,I can hear the relay click when I press the cruise button on panel , no airbag on this model so shouldn't be to complicated? Seems as though all there is, is a horn button, three wires from column, just don't know what to think, need more education on clockspring. Thanks for your response.

If the relay clicks then at least that much works. Cruise control could be a vacuum related problem. Fuse?

Dunno about jumpering the ground and this connector to that to test the horn. You can rig up a button pretty easy though. Some even have a little picture of a horn on the button.

I mean just use a jump to make horn work, really it's only a positive into a ground. Wondering why there is a relay at all, old horns that I've dealt with have been positive then ground simple, honk, honk, why the relay? unless they're were relays I never had a problem with? Confusing and unnecessary!!?? Why do I always get the stupid little problems? Such an annoyance!! Thanks for all your input, I will let you know my remedies for sure!!!

Most modern cars the horn is relayed because the wiring in the steering column is tiny. Old cars that had one button for the horn were simple, they had a big metal ring and some huge wires for the current to pass through. New cars have up to a dozen wires wrapped up in the clock spring, and they just aren't big enough to carry the current that the horn needs. So they use the tiny wires to activate a relay instead.