Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wondering what people's experience are with them, if any.

I recently picked up a '99 Forester who's fobs were long ago lost. The ones from the dealer are (predictably) expensive. I see some used ones on feebay for about $35, but I'm of the mind that the batteries aren't the only thing that wears out on them, but perhaps I'm incorrect?

Anyway, whatcha got?!

Thanks!

Will-

No idea about the aftermarkets, but from what I have seen the remote control system in these cars (at least on the '99 OBW) seems to be have been made by Alpine, and I think it was used on BMWs as well. That should expand your options

eBay can be a good source for remotes; I've bought a couple there and have had no complaints. Do pay attention to the photos, though; if the remote appears well worn, it may not be what you're looking for. The ones I bought--for a '96 and an '05--didn't really show any evidence of use.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Gary, I'm not really sure how to tell what variety I need. I didn't receive one with the car so I don't know which style goes with it, any ideas there?

My folks have a 2000 legacy which has this kind,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-SUBARU-KEY-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-FOB-TRANSMITTER-A269ZUA111-2-BT-GREY-/280846914605?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999|Model%3AForester&hash=item4163c7d42d&vxp=mtr

and my friend had a 2000 forester which had this kind,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-CLICKER-FORESTER-/310390988093?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999|Model%3AForester&hash=item4844be9d3d&vxp=mtr

As you can see from the ad, they both say they work with a '99 forester, but they both give a different range of compatibility, so who knows.

Rooster2,

thanks for the tip, I'll check that out as well.

Jarl,

I doubt Gary is talking about new remotes, probably left overs from one of the 2 or 3 Subarus Gary has owned over the years :-p

i ordered a couple off ebay last year and they were in pretty poor shape, i think i got one good one out of 4...they were VERY warn (no writing left) or very loose because the screws/plastic or whatever holds the two halves together were broken. i'd make sure particularly that yours isn't like that, it seems common.

they come up for sale ocassionally - seen a few on here in the months following the ones i bought.

Yeah, I'll be watching what I buy. I think I'll follow up Rooster2's idea of asking my local Ace hardware about theirs. I just need to unlock the doors, so if they are comparable in price to used one in good condition on ebay I'll probably go for it. That way I'll probably have some kind of warranty as well.

Will-